Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
13 posts Page 1 of 2
My wife has decided to learn Photoshop Elements.

We have Elements 7 and her laptop is running Windows 7.

Does anyone use this combination and are you having success with it?

I normally use CS and Elements 1 & 5 on XP.

Thanks.

//Edit: additional info/clarification.//
I have Elements 7 on my laptop running Vista. Can't see why Windows 7 would have any problem with it.
I had PSE7 with Win-XP and had no problems at all. When I switched to Win-7 there was absolutely no noticeable difference. Everything is working just fine.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I spend a lot of time (possibly far too much) on the Flickr PSE Group and nobody has had problems with PSE7 on Win 7. (Contrary to what Microsoft tells you).
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Thank you all.

I'll install PSE7 on my wife's Win 7 laptop when my bud gets back in town on Wednesday. That way if anything goes amiss I'll have help nearby.

PSE7 is new to me. I still use 5 and 1 a lot - my comfort zone. Guess I'll learn 7 pretty soon.

Thanks again for the replies.
I'd have to say that PSE1 is so different to PSE7 that it's another program.... I can't think why you'd want to keep it. PSE5 is also an strange program.... in the time I've spent "in the trenches" in the PSE and CoffeeShop Groups on Flickr, if any version has a problem it will be PSE5. It's like it was developed by a different team altogether. I'm happy with PSE6, but might consider PSE9 later this year.

Gallery
I got PSE1 as a supplement to PhotoShop CS. I used the PSE1 on a second unit. Under automate there is a Package Print. I have PSE5 and like PSE1 never had a problem with either. PSE3 gave me so many problems I stopped using it after a month and went back to PSE1. The organizer was so confusing I just refused to use it on either version. I gave PSE5 a try, EDITOR ONLY, and found it comfortable and easy to use. So I kept with it. I still use CS on my primary desktop.

PSE5 had a picture package feature but named differently. The problem with this was I could not find a way to save the package. So I did work in PSE5, saved the image, went to PSE1 or CS to do the picture package then save the package in PSD and JPEG.

I haven't used PSE7 yet but will after I've installed in on my wife's laptop.
As I mentioned earlier I bought PSE1/3/5/7. For the work I do PSE1 & 5 and my older CS do me fine.

I use CS3 at work and the folks there are begging for CS4.

I will probably stay with what I have now for as long as I possibly can. It seems that as soon as folks get comfortable with a version of anything a "new & improved" version comes out. Then the users fork out another C-note to stay "current". In my case I found that two of the features I liked in PSE1 (Package Print and some of the textures) were not present in the newer versions. I've spent roughly $400 on Elements and still need more than one version to keep some of the newer and some of the older features.

Sometimes it seems like the "upgrade fever" is running amok.
This will sound very silly - ridiculous, even - but I note that you've had PSE 1. 3. 5 and 7 - all the odd-numbered versions. While I haven't heard of any problems with PSE7, I've heard of lots of problems with all the other odd numbers, while Flickr's PSE Group members usually have no problems with 2, 4, 6 and 8! Go figure.

Gallery
It's a funny old world, Geoff.
I am also an oddball as I have owned PSE 1, 3, 5 and 7. I never believed there was enough new to make it worth eighty bucks or so to upgrade every year so I fell into the odd number sequence. Truth be told, I don't see much point with the change from 5 to 7. It's not that I have any problems with 7 ... just very little change from 5.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
13 posts Page 1 of 2