Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I must be missing something. My brother needs a photo to be used in an embroidery machine. All he can tell me is that it needs to be 150 DPI. I have saved several photos using the Save for Web function in Elements 5 but dont know how to find out what the dpi is. Thanks for any help you can give.
Rob.. you don't want to take a web image at 72 and go up. You want to have the original with the higher dpi and go down to 15o.

Image, resize and change your dpi to 150.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Thanks Kimi thats exactly what I was looking for.
:P
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Dont know anything about embroidery machines, but assume that it needs to be of a certain size and DPI. Size can be achieved via the crop tool. I would then use the Image Resize route to change the DPI up or down as required from the original shot.
John
Are we talking about the same thing?

PPI = pixels per inch; a photo imaging term. You can change PPI within the Image>Resize routine with options to specify pixels/inch or pixels/cm. This affects the digital resolution of the image.

DPI = dots per inch; a printer term applied to ink jet printer ink dots (the four colors of ink). This is about how precisely ink is applied to the paper in the printing process. DPI is also used in set up screens for scanners and, in that instance, is being used interchangeably with PPI.

I suspect your embroidery machine is using dpi to mean the same thing as ppi. Since I don't think you can do a darn thing within Elements to govern what dpi will result, I would take the easy way out and conclude, "they mean ppi" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, I'm guessing the same thing you are. My sister inlaw is making something for my mother with the grandkids photos on it and every photo I have sent to them has been rejected by the software. I checked and what I had been sending was 300 ppi so I'm going to change that to 150 and see if that works. My brother has a sony digital that has an email photo setting, so far anything he takes on that setting works. I'm sure we will get it figured out. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Oops, missed the DPI/PPI thingy.

But if you have a picture that worked (or your brother does), get a copy of it and see what the size and PPI settings are, then replicate them in PSE.
John
I run a few embroidery machines and software that will allow me to take a photo and turn it into a thread painting. I love to do the black and white becuase it give it so much depth and detail. I have never run into a problem with dpi. What software is she using, if you know?

Going to find my first thread painting and will post a picture to show you.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
This is my second one and the first is my absolute favorite. It must be on my other computer and I will hunt that later. This gives you an idea of what thread painting for embroidery is all about.

This photos is of one of the Fire Fighters children at my husbands Department. There is a little bit of color in order to get depth. Looks better when your standing about 5 feet away.
2nd-Thread-painting.jpg
2nd-Thread-painting.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
10 posts Page 1 of 1