Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi folks can anybody please help me i am stuck,and it is driving me made :evil: Here is the situation.Having imported a photo into editor putting on a white canvas,inc bevel,drop shadow inner glow and a stroke line around the frame no problem with that. Now the tricky bit for me, what i wont to do now is to put a stroke line further out from the main photo all around but i dont know how to do it i think my next step is out the window with the pc.Its driving me bonkers anybody fancy helping me thanks

Jon
Hi, Jon -

First, make your selection. Then click Select>Modify>Expand, and input the number of pixels you want to expand it by.

Create a new layer (optional, but helpful) and click Edit>Stroke. Choose a color and size (and blend, if you want, but this is optional if you created a new layer). Click OK, and there's your stroke. If it's on it's own layer, you have a billion options available now, including changing the blend mode, running a filter on it, resizing it, changing its color...

If you want to increase or decrease the size of your stroke, <Ctrl>+<T> to open the Transform tool. Hold <Alt>+<Shift> while you drag a corner handle to resize from the center.
Oh, one other thing-

If, in the Stroke dialog box, you choose the "inside" option, your corners will be nice and sharp. If you choose either the "center" or "outside" option, they'll be slightly rounded.

To get crisp corners oversized, stroke on a new layer and then transform it, like I mentioned above. Check out my B&W Lab action pack, too, for a bunch of framing actions like this -
Graffi wrote: Oh, one other thing-

If, in the Stroke dialog box, you choose the "inside" option, your corners will be nice and sharp. If you choose either the "center" or "outside" option, they'll be slightly rounded.

To get crisp corners oversized, stroke on a new layer and then transform it, like I mentioned above. Check out my B&W Lab action pack, too, for a bunch of framing actions like this -

I wondered what the difference between inside outside and center meant. Thanks for all the stroke information this will come in handy for me to.
One other comment...
The way Graffi describes is the best way to insure that the "new stroke" is in exact proportion to the image. But, if some some reason you do not want the second stroke to be perfectly in proportion, you can use the Marquee Tool to draw out your selection on a new layer and then stroke the selection.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Graffi,You have got it spot on, worked a treat many thanks :D
no stopping me know many thanks

Jon
p.s thankyou for the tip about moving the stroke,by select- modify- expand or contract thanks for that one
Rusty, thankyou for your input also thanks
Jon
Hi Ladybug,
Try it,it can make all the differance well worth asking if unsure

Jon :D :lol:
The way Graffi describes is the best way to insure that the "new stroke" is in exact proportion to the image. But, if some some reason you do not want the second stroke to be perfectly in proportion, you can use the Marquee Tool to draw out your selection on a new layer and then stroke the selection.

Hi, Rusty - one other fun thing with putting it on its own layer is that you can transform it - create the new stroke on its own layer, hit <Ctrl>+<T> and drag out a few corner handles. It'll look like a "detatched" stroke. It works pretty well on text, for instance, for a retro out-of-register print like all those old comic books I had so long ago....:

cool graffi, thanks for the tip.
10 posts Page 1 of 1