Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Ok, here is what I want to learn to do and have no clue where to begin. First of all, I am new to photography and have Photoshop 9 (windows). When my daughter had her senior pics done, the photographer had her do several poses. When we went to preview the pics, she had a picture that had her name in big block letters. Her name covered the entire picture. She used several of those pics and placed them around the text. For example: Her name is Krystina. She appears to be standing behind and peeking around the "K" ...she is sitting in front of the "Y"... and so on. She used the different poses and somehow placed them around her name. Does anyone have any clue how to do this? That was my favorite picture of her because it was fun looking and showed her personality. I am planning to do some senior pics for a few people and would love to know how to do this. I thought this would be a cute idea for toddlers too. Any ideas?
This would involve many layers and masking.
That sounds like a fun image.
You can do it with layers. What you want is the letter(s) all alone on one layer and the people-image(s) on a different layer. Then you use a mask to blend them together.

I don't really have any suitable images immediately at hand but this will give you an idea.
Letters.jpg
Letters.jpg (170.13 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

I put my mask on the Letter layer. When I paint with black, the letter is hidden. Her right knee is in front of the letter, her left arm is behind it. If she keeps running she'll have a big problem but, hey, I'm just illustrating a point, not making sense with the image. ;-)

Your photographer obviously gave this a lot of thought and knew in advance what s/he intended to try to do and, thus, came away from the shoot with poses that would work.

I'm not sure, I think PSE9 has layer masks. I'm using PSE7 plus an add-on mask (Graffi Handy Actions). You can always simply use the erasure but that's destructive and, thus, much harder to do.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Sounds pretty difficult. I am also trying to put a picture in a wine glass. I think I will try and figure that out first and then work on this. Thanks !
I understand that PSE 9 does have layer masks. Supposedly the big improvement over previous versions.
tennie wrote: I understand that PSE 9 does have layer masks. Supposedly the big improvement over previous versions.

:oops: Really? I have real masks now? I better read the manual, the what's new, or help or something because I've just kept on doing it my old way, the highjack an adjustment layer technique!

Courtney
mtbspike wrote:
tennie wrote: I understand that PSE 9 does have layer masks. Supposedly the big improvement over previous versions.

:oops: Really? I have real masks now? I better read the manual, the what's new, or help or something because I've just kept on doing it my old way, the highjack an adjustment layer technique!

Courtney

I'm on the mailing list for Scrapper's Guide....the lady who runs it does training on all the new versions and that was what she said. Didn't sound like there was much else new so I'm sticking with 7 for a while. :)
There are so many ways of doing things. I do not have a lot of time right now but was able to jump in for a minute. You can create a new document and use big bold text and type out the name. You can cut the person out of each photo (any number of tools can be used) and place them behind the text layer. Then make sure the person layer is active, go to the simplified text layer and do edit-delete this will delete the text in the area of the person. sample below. The ladies used in this are stock from morguefile.
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Thanks lady bug. I may try that next week. Got a busy weekend with grandkids. Dont know how much time I will have to spend this weekend.
mtbspike wrote:

Courtney

Yes, PSE9 has a mask. It's that icon next to add new adjustment layer icon in the layers palette.
11 posts Page 1 of 2