Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
How do I apply a white vignette to a photo in photoshop elements 9? My computer is windows. In the guided section under create a lomo effect there is a tab that says apply vignette but it is black. I would like to do the same but in white.
hi teresa, i do not have nine but perhaps the color of your vignette depends on your foreground color try switching the colors before you do the vignette.
I'm not sure if this is want you want or not. I am thinking of black and white as really another way to say a dark vignette as opposed to a light vignette. In this example I put a blank layer on top and filled with 50% Gray; changed the blend mode to Overlay.

If you paint on the left-side of the image with black you get a dark vignette; if you paint on the right-side with white you get a light vignette. (do your painting with the brush set around 22-25% opacity and use multiple strokes to build up to what you want)
Vignette.jpg
Vignette.jpg (161.49 KiB) Viewed 1816 times

Welcome to the forum.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
What I did was create a new blank layer above my pic and filled it with white. Added a layer mask and used the black to white gradient tool set on radial and experimented with drawing from the center out.
Swirl2 copy1.jpg
Swirl2 copy1.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
This is one way you can do it:

Choose the rectangular marque tool. On the menu bar put in a feather amount. The higher the number, the larger and more gradual your vignette fade will be. I often use about 100 pixels for my photos.

Draw a rectangle on your photo, however far in you want your vignette to be. Choose Select Inverse. (Shift Ctlr I)

Choose Layer > New > Layer Via copy (Ctrl J). Now you've got a vignette in a new layer. You're not done yet...

In the layers pallette Ctrl Click on the vignette layer thumbnail itself to get the marching ants around the vignette. Choose Edit > Fill Selection, Use White.

Is that what you're hoping for?

Courtney

Attachments

This is what I am looking for. Thanks! I will try these ideas tonight!
teresa looking forward to seeing your creation.
Can't get it to stay on the rectangle. I selected the rectangle tool and drew my rectangle around the picture. When I released the mosse button, it converted to an oval. Why did it do that? I have tried several times.
Courtney told you ... Choose the rectangular marque tool. On the menu bar put in a feather amount. The higher the number, the larger and more gradual your vignette fade will be. I often use about 100 pixels for my photos.

When you select a feather amount, that's going to round the corners of the rectangle. And, you want that to happen for it to look like a vignette. The higher the "feather number", the more it is going to round the corners. If you are working with a relatively low resolution image, then a suggested feather of 100 px may be too high; it sure will look like an oval.

If I am working with an image out of my camera cropped at, say, 4 x 6, that image has a resolution of over 600 px and I will use a feather amount greater than 100.

Try it again. Look in the lower left corner of your edit screen to see what is the resolution of your image.
image size.jpg
image size.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 1779 times

For starters, use a feather number that is about 1/4th of that number. In this case: 300 / 4 = 75. See what that looks like with the feather set at "75". You can always delete the created layer and try it again with a different feather number, greater or smaller, and just keep doing that until you get one you like.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Got it! Thanks!
10 posts Page 1 of 1