Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I have PSE 9. Can someone tell me how to have 2 images at the same time on my screen? I wanted to copy a selection from one and place in another but I could not get the 2 images open that I wanted. First I need to say that I am editing wedding pics and had several pictures open in the editor. I clicked the selection that allows 2 up. 2 images did come up on my screen. One was one of the pictures I wanted and then another from the editing bin. When I tried to click the other, it replaced the one I needed. I couldnt figure out how to select the ones I want. I hope I am being clear. Basicly, If I have several images open in the editor, how do I select the ones I want to open? Weather it be 2, 3 or 4...
Likely, one of the forum members will have a specific answer for you soon. In the meantime, here are some videos which might be useful today or in the future.

There are many helpful videos for elements produced by adobe:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-elements-9
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-elements-8/
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Remember, you can display more than one image in your workspace, but you can only "work on" one at a time. Here is a way to accomplish what I think you are after.

Open both of your images. Go to the one where you want to select part of the image. Make your selection, then Ctrl-J puts that selection onto a separate layer:
Images 1.jpg
Images 1.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

Now click Windows > Images > Tile. That will display asll of your open images, two in this case, in your workspace:
Images 2.jpg
Images 2.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

Click on the image where you made your selection. Look over in the Layers Pallet and you see that top layer where you have your selection. Left-click that layer, holding down the mouse key, and drag it across and onto the image where you want to add that selection:
Images 3.jpg
Images 3.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

Now you have added the selected part of one image to the other image; that selection is on its own layer. You can resize or otherwise manipulate it to do whatever you intended:
Images 4.jpg
Images 4.jpg (93.68 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Example: I have Picture A, B, C, and D in editing bin. I select the view that will allow me to see 2 images on my workspace. Current view shows Picture A and Picture B. I want to see Picture A and picture C. When I double click on picture C, it places it in the first spot where Picture A was. So now I have Picture C and Picture B. How do I chose which pictures I want to display on my screen?
I use PSE7. Apparently PSE9 provides features not available to me. I understand what you are saying, I have no idea what to tell you.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you Rusty. Although your reply did not give me an answer to the particular question I was asking, I did learn new things from your previous post that I will use . The only way I can do this is to only have the 2 pics open in the editor which is frustrating when u have 1800 wedding pics to sort through! I don't know how it determins where to put the pic I click? This is frustrating. Maybe someone else has an answer...
Hi Teresa,
I tried to duplicate your problem and couldn't. I clicked the tiny display icon in the upper left top of the options bar and set it to 2 up. I then opened three photos and they were set up in the photo bin on the bottom of the display. I then double clicked on the photos and had no trouble displaying them in any order.
You may want to check your preferences dialog box (general tab) and make sure float pictures is checked.
To get to your preferences click on edit and then click on preferences in the drop down dialog box.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
This is pretty fustrating... I checked the floating windows option (it was not checked before). I still do not know how to pick the image I want to open in the 2nd frame when I have the view selection of 2 images. Every time I double click a picture, it replaces the picture in the first frame?????? I am sure it is something I am doing wring but I just cant figure out what it is.
Check that you do NOT have "Maximise Mode" set in the Windows menu. That would only show one image at a time. Choose Cascade or Tile (Cascade is a little easier).
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I don't see maximise. Under windows, I clicked on images. Tile, cascade, float in window, float all in windows, and consolidate all to tabs is greyed out. The only thing I have the option to click on is new window, match zoom, and match location. Any suggestions? Thank u so much for your help. :-)
12 posts Page 1 of 2