Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I cropped a person from a pic who was some distance from the camera. I thought I better look at my image size after he was cropped out. It says 69dpi. Will I be able to print that? If not, is there a way I can get it to a larger dpi. I actually dont even know what dpi is??? I have PSE 9
See this: http://www.digicamguides.com/print/ppi-print-size.html
and, probably this one as well: http://www.design215.com/toolbox/print_guide.php

Look at the "sides" of your image. What is the length x width (in pixels)? That is how most of the tables are written. Unless you are printing a postage stamp, 69 ppi isn't going to provide an image you are happy with.

You can resize. Image > resize > image size ... usually we are reducing the size of an image. Change the ppi number down at the bottom to make it bigger. I have never had that result in anything I was happy with, but that's how you do it in Elements.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
276x414
this video discusses resolution, resizing & printing. Even though PS is mentioned, the same concept applies to elements.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-swee ... on-basics/
here is some additional information you might find helpful
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9023&p=97221#p97221
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
276 x 414 ... about a wallet-size is about what you can do with that.

Consider about 200ppi as the minimum for a quality print. You are looking at a bit less than 1-1/2 inches x 2"

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I am trying to understand this...am I correct in saying that I can not crop a person from a pic that is a distance away and expect a quality print? Approximatley how much of the pic does the cropped area need to be to get the quality I need for an 8x10? 1/4, 1/2...??? I am sorry to keep asking questions, but I am new to this and just did photography for my first wedding and am trying to go through the pics. I have found some of my best expressions of the bride when there is another person in the pic. I am trying to crop her out of the pic and put the cropped pic in her album, but I do not want to put a pic in her proof album that she could not order in a larger size if she wanted.
As Rusty said, 200 ppi (pixels per inch) is about the minimum you want for a decent print. Higher for more quality prints. So for an 8x10 you would want it to 1600x2000 minimum. I try for at least 300 ppi when I am considering printing a photo. Or even higher if I can get it. Your camera will determine how much you can crop. You will not be able to crop as much if you are shooting a 6 Mp camera as you could shooting a 16 Mp or higher. While PSE and PS can do a fair job of enlarging, there are programs out there designed specifically for enlarging photos. OnOne's Perfect Resize 7 is one of those. The full standard version costs $159.95, while the full professional is $299.95. But if you are starting from a crop that is 69 ppi, you are already behind the proverbial 8-ball. One suggestion when cropping, leave the ppi box blank. I find this gives much higher ppi values afterwards. The absolute best though, is to get your composition as close to correct as possible in camera so you can keep cropping to a minimum.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
7 posts Page 1 of 1