Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I gave someone a cd to view some pics I took but wanted to make sure they did not print them. I resized to 72ppi but when I put on the cd to view, some of the images were very small and didnt cover the screen. I think it was the ones I did any cropping on. Is there a way to save in the small file size of 72ppi but still have it large enough to view? I ended up saving them to 96ppi and they were all large enough to fit the screen. I hope that is small enough for them not to be able to get a quality printif they tried.
teresa if i am not mistaken you can resize it to what ever dimensions you want and make it 72 resolution. For instance you can have a 5 x 6 at 300 resolution and a 5 x 6 at 72 resolution. Glad you are happy with the forum i love it here also.
Hi Teresa,

To add to the discussion, 72ppi or anything in ppi doesn't really mean anything, The question, is how many pixels have you got!

If you want to show a "full sized" image on a standard 4x3 monitor (old style), the screen monitor is probably 1024x768. The 4x3 and the 1024x768 are the same "aspect ratio" - meaning that if you divide 4 by 3 you will come up with 1.33333 and the same for the 1024/768.

So, if you want the best quality image for showing or projection, make the image fit the monitors resolution. The wide-screen monitors are all over the map, but in general if you make the aspect ratio 16x9 (1920x1080) it will fit.

Now, the bad part. If it is big enough to project cleanly, it is big enough to print - at least a 4x6, specially of you give them the 1920x1080 resolution.
John
Make it into a pdf or a slideshow. I've learned my lesson the hard way, don't give someone a file of your photos. :)
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
to clarify, am I understanding that they cant print a pdf or slideshow? If thats true, should I resize my images to be smaller? Can I make these in PSE9? I'm just full of questions :-)
Well, any page of a pdf can be printed, and all slide shows that I have seen can be paused and a print-screen done and then printed in a least a 4x6 print. It may confound entry level users, but it is really quite simple.

As to the other part of your question re pdf and slideshow in PSE9, slideshows for sure, don't know about pdf files.
John
Well technically they could print a pdf but a slide show they wouldn't be able to. I'd go the slide show route if you want to share on the computer.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
7 posts Page 1 of 1