A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Here is my view about simple black and white conversion methods in Elements. By simple I mean using merely an additional layer. I don't take into account methods simulating coloured filter effects, you can always apply a hue/sat adjustment or photo filter under the conversion layer. I do not forget that Elements has no masks for standard layers, and I favour adjustment layers which take less file space.

1- simplest and best known: a hue/sat adjustment layer and move saturation slider to -100. It has a mask, but the result is generally dull, it's the same effect as desaturating a layer or removing color. You'll need to enhance the contrast, generally or locally.

2 - A gradient map adjustment layer. Less known, although using the standard black to white gradient is as simple as the above method. Results are generally much better, depending on the picture. The real plus is that when you know how to edit a gradient with one or two stops, you can mimic any curve and achieve a very good result for any kind of picture. It's really worth practicing with the gradient editor! You can even do a sepia or simple duotone.

3 - A solid color fill layer with 50% grey in color mode. It has a mask, and gives a generally pleasant result which is equivalent to the well known trick of duplicating the background layer in luminosity mode over a 50% grey layer. Another advantage is the result is very close to what can be achieved by Lab conversion.

4 - Lab mode of Photoshop is missing in Elements. I have add-ons by Benny Pedersen and Graffi which can extract the lightness channel which is considered a good start. I also love the free smartcurve plugin from epaperpress. You choose the Lab mode. You have to transform the curves of a and b channel so that they are horizontal in the middle of the vertical axis. This desaturates. To adjust tone and contrast, tweak the lightness channel, s-curve or whatever to get the best for every picture. And it works in 16 bits!

And if you want to play with ACR, keep in mind you have an excellent control on black and white conversion, as I already stated in another thread...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thank you, Michel,

I have notes on those various methods scattered in several places -- bits and pieces. Thanks to you, I can now simply copy your post and have a concise summary.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Mitchel, that is a superb mini class on B&W convertion. 8-) 8-)
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1