A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I was working with a PSD template in PSE6 and when I pulled up my photo, aligned it, and wanted to Ctrl +G it that action was grayed out and on the layers palette it said my photo was a frame layer. There was a little + sign in the bottom right corner of the photo. What did that mean and how to I get around it? I have had no problems in PSE5 so this has me stumped. Can anyone help. :cry:

GrGram Pat
Hi Kiddo,
This is a definite PSE6 oddity. I notice it happening when I drag an image up from the project bin into the image I'm working on. Since it only happens when I'm busy, I haven't studied on it, and the only thing I can tell you is that to make the + thingy go away, right-click on the layer that has it and choose "simplify layer". The + goes away and Bob's your uncle.

I have never played with a template so I don't know what would happen there.

If I say anything more here about my expertise with "Frame Layers", you'll wind up knowing less than you did when you posted. :roll:

Probably somebody who actually knows something will wander through here and we'll both learn something.

Have fun,
Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
From what I've read (I don't have PSE6....yet) you can't drag up from the photobin to place something on an image in the workspace like you could do in versions 4 & 5 (never could do it in 3) You can still drag down or open your images side by side & use the Move tool to drag or do Ctrl-C...Ctrl-V to copy an image & paste in another.

Bayla

PS> Found a thread about this problem over at EV...HERE
the little + means that it's a "Smart Layer" - which means that you can resize, rotate, transform & otherwise manipulate it at will without losing any clarity - if you simplify it, it takes away this ability and it will pixelate when resized - plus, it makes it tough to remove later, especially if there's an image in the frame already.

This is good for creating an image of several sizes, like one for print, one for emailing and one for an online gallery.
Thanks, Bayla :D
Your answer and what I learned in the thread over yonder helped a lot.

Thanks, Graffi :D
Now I need to study and learn how to make the most of smart layers.

See, Kiddo? :D
Somebody always shows up with the answers, which is what makes PCEC such a great place.

Have fun,
Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Thanks so much for all your help! I dont understand it but at least I now know how to get around it. You guys are AWESOME!

GrGram Pat
6 posts Page 1 of 1