A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
I use a Mac G4, PSE 6 and a Canon IP5300 printer. Assuming I have profiled my monitor correctly, is there anyone out there who can help me with a work flow for the above.
I have tried to read up on this but with little success. I guess what I am after is an 'idiot's guie'. i.e.
What selections / settings to use in PSE6 and what selections / settings to use in the various print dialogues.
IMHO there should be a sticky for this as it seems to be a major bugbear in many forums, PLEASE?
Many thanks in anticipation!!!
tonyt :help:
Again Tony, I am going to refer you to the first 3 newsletters. These can be found in the newsletter discussion section on the main page. I know there are 3 large articles on color management. It should help you out.
try in PSE6 edit>color settings>no color management. In print dialogue also select no color management. Someday when want to work harder can start thru the newsletter directions; but this is easiest for me. Here's screen shot of print dialogues in PSE6, mac, canon 9000.
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Quoting Wikipedia....
"As the recommended color space for the Internet, sRGB should be used for editing and saving all images intended for publication to the WWW; however, due to sRGB's somewhat limited gamut, images intended for professional printing via a fully color-managed workflow, e.g., prepress output, should choose another color space such as Adobe RGB (1998), which allows for a wider gamut.

"Images intended for the Internet and created in one of the other color spaces may be converted to sRGB when editing, using a suitable editing program, e.g., Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop; ideally, the original non-sRGB file should be saved and the conversion to sRGB done on a copy, as some loss of image information occurs when converting to the narrower color space."

I think the bottom line is......

for the web, use sRGB.
for printing, use AdobeRGB.

In the end, You'll not notice any difference whatsoever on even a high-end home printer. Commercial printing houses, using CMYK colours, may see a slight difference.

However, I always look to make sure I'm making the best choices, so I stick with my first sentence.

So which one do we select first?

Your camera has probably got a choice of saving in sRGB or AdobeRGB. This is the first place to make a decision. I go for AdobeRGB because I want the best choices for my images, from camera to Printer.

It follows, then, that I also set "Always Optimize for Printing" in the PSE Color Management.

Don't forget to check the Save As dialogue.... it gives the option of Color Space and will automatically save with whatever your image is set at but if the file is for the web/email you could take the Color Space off. I can always change a file, via Image > Convert Color Profile, to sRGB for individual pictures for the web.

When it comes to printing, my image should be ready. On the other hand you may not print very much and the majority of your pictures are destined for the web then you could go with sRGB throughout.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
4 posts Page 1 of 1