A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
22 posts Page 1 of 3
For some reason my pictures are set to open in Notepad...Obviously I would rather have them either open in a viewing program or PSE. Can anyone help me resset this?
Sure, if you're working with XP (not sure about Vista, but it's worth a try).

Go to My Computer. Go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll down until you find .jpg and click Restore if you want it to open with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer or click Change, where you can select what program opens your .jpgs.

If I wasn't clear enough, just let me know and I'll try again.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Check THIS thread.

It is a generic fix and shorter than the file types fixup (IMO).
John
sarch99 wrote: Sure, if you're working with XP (not sure about Vista, but it's worth a try).

Go to My Computer. Go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll down until you find .jpg and click Restore if you want it to open with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer or click Change, where you can select what program opens your .jpgs.

If I wasn't clear enough, just let me know and I'll try again.

Hello! I went to folder options file types...it was set to open in Pse Elements...don't know exactly why it opened in Notepad..see below...my reply to John :thanks:
jlwilm wrote: Check THIS thread.

It is a generic fix and shorter than the file types fixup (IMO).

Hey John!!
This was simple...it must be the same idea...obviously this will correct all of my existing pictures trying to open in Notepad...I tried Sarah's advice above...everything was already set to open in either PSE or Nero...I don't understand why it's opening in Notepad by default...so what about future saves of pics...do I need to set each one individually?
No, once you have set it, forget about it. It will only change when something else you install or whatever can reset it.

I use the right click, open with option to flip opening between IFRANVIEW and PSE 4/5 and CS3, depending on what I am doing - editing, presentations, etc.
John
jlwilm wrote: No, once you have set it, forget about it. It will only change when something else you install or whatever can reset it.

I use the right click, open with option to flip opening between IFRANVIEW and PSE 4/5 and CS3, depending on what I am doing - editing, presentations, etc.

Oh Good! Thanks so much!!! :thumbsup:
I agree that's an easy way to do it......and I use that when I want to open a .jpg in Elements for editing. The main reason I took Terri the "My Computer" route is educational...it's good to know where you can send something back to its default setting, particularly if you're not sure what program is actually supposed to open something. It's what I do.......I've learned the more I teach customers how to use their PC the fewer things they call me for. :puter: :)
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Sunny,

Interesting, and I agree with you.

I "used" to know that trick, then over the years, left it on the back burner to the point I "forgot" about it. I teach seniors how to use the computer for basic stuff as well as for Elements.

I tell my students all the time - use it or loose it.

Good advice to follow. :doh:
John
Ok...I have some questions...first off...do I need to change every single pic I have to Open with and Choose a program?

Also, instead of going to my computer...I went to control panel, then to Folder Options, then file types and looked up all j-peg files...They were all set to open in the right program...I guess I'm being blonde but don't understand why they ever opened up in Notebook!!! :?
22 posts Page 1 of 3