A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
22 posts Page 2 of 3
Once you change one file type, it affects ALL files with the same extension.

How it got associated with Notepad - not easily, it should never happen. Gremlins maybe?
John
jlwilm wrote: Once you change one file type, it affects ALL files with the same extension.

How it got associated with Notepad - not easily, it should never happen. Gremlins maybe?

Hi John!

Ha!! Must be!!
I'm still having items opening in Notepad! If I change a pic to open say In Nero Or Windows Viewing it will open there...still though when I scan something in and it's in PSD file it still is opening in Notepad :x I've tried changing several of the jpeg and psd files..can't figure this out????
Have you on in through File Types and returned everything to default?
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Once you change one file type, it affects ALL files with the same extension.

BUT, the change only works for the file type you changed. If PSD is opening in Notepad, change it by the same procedure to open with Elements or whatever software you wish to use.
John
John, if I'm following you correctly you are telling me that if I changed the jpeg files I have to change the PSD files as well..Is that what you mean?

Also...I went up to File Types again....PSD files were listed as opening in Adobe Reader...go figure...I didn't see a default button...but I did change it to come up in Nero (my viewing program) There is a button that I clicked...Restore...which I tried...would you beleive that it went to Notepad...so that tells me that Notepad is the default...Aren't I correct...didn't mean to write a book..anyway I changed it Back to where I wanted it.
John, if I'm following you correctly you are telling me that if I changed the jpeg files I have to change the PSD files as well..Is that what you mean?

Yes, The method I gave you (Right Click, Open With, Choose Program) does only one file type at a time. It does not have a default. It sounds like you are mixing the two different sets of instructions.
John
jlwilm wrote:

Yes, The method I gave you (Right Click, Open With, Choose Program) does only one file type at a time. It does not have a default. It sounds like you are mixing the two different sets of instructions.

I follwed you...I just couldn't figure why if I had already changed say the PSD file why It was still opening In Notepad.
No..I really didn't get mixed up...I was talking about Sarah's comment about File types and what I saw there! :thanks:

Getting confused. I think this implies that you changed JPEG and it worked, and a question re PSD files.

If you changed PSD and it went back to Notebook, something else is happening. These settings usyally get changed when you install programs and other events that tend to be relatively rare.
John
Terri - I'm afraid I confused you, and I'm sorry................you're right about Restore, not default. In trying to recreate what's happening to you, I just went the long route (through tools, file types, etc.) and scrolled to PSD file. Right now, my .psd files open with ACDSee. When I click on Restore, Photoshop Elements is the default program to open a file. Very strange that you're somehow defaulting to Notepad.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
22 posts Page 2 of 3