A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Need help: My PSE5 Organizer cannot recognize .CR2 files though it can get .CRW files.
My PSE5 Editor can open CR2 files for edit as can my Camera RAW app.

Is there a way for Organizer to recognize CR2 files as it does JPG and CRW? TY
Hi dalevitt, and welcome to our place!

This is a little odd as the Organizer and the Editor both use the same RAW converter. Did you have to download a new RAW converter to get the Editor to work?

Please post and additional info you have on Camera Model, RAW converter you are currently using (you can check this in Editor by clicking Help, About Plug-in, Camera RAW.

If you did download a new RAW converter, what did you do with the old one?
John
I cannot get Canon CR2 files [produced by my XSi camera] into PSE5 Organizer though CRW files work fine. I did download the new Camera Raw 4.4.1 and exchanged the new “Camera Raw.8b1” file for the old in my “\PSE5 Plug-ins\File Formats” folder.

Organizer will not recognize the CR2 file format: ERROR MSG: “The file is damaged or is a format that cannot be included in PSE5 Organizer”

However, I can open a CR2 file directly in PSE5 Editor. It will open Camera Raw which then starts the usual process of handing it over to PSE Editor.

I have many more photos in Organizer than I actually edit so it would take up much space and time to run all new CR2 files through the Editor to produce PSD or TIFF files.

Any suggestions would be welcome. TY
I checked the Adobe site and 4.4.1 is the right version for your camera.

So, when nothing else makes sense, the first thing I try is to reset preferences.

First, try this.

For one of the CR2 files, right click the thumbnail, then click Update Thumbnail. If the thumbnail is updated and replaced, what you need to do is select all images, then do the same thing to Update all thumbnails. May take a while, but if it works for one, it will work for all.

If that didn't work, the next thing I would try is to reset preferences. The easiest way to do this is to get to the folder where Elements stores its preferences file PSA.PRF and rename it to something like PSAOLD.PRF

The preferences file is stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.0\Organizer

The XXXX is variable from system to system and will depend on what and how you logon to Windows. If you are having trouple finding it, do a search for PSA.PRF

Then restart Organizer, and it will build a new default based preferences file. Exit Organizer, then restart and try the first thumbnail update routine.
John
Hello John-
Problem solved. Thanks much for your help. You encouraged me to believe that PSE5 Organizer could recognize the CR2 format so I sought an underlying problem and my first guess was right.

I searched for "Camera Raw.8bi' and found several copies in different folders. I erased all but the file in \Plug-Ins\File Formats.

Now, my PSE5 Organizer can accept Canon CR2 files. Apparently, Organizer was opening an older Camera Raw file that could not read CR2 while Editor was opening the newest V 4.4.1 file.

What a relief. Thanks again.

Could you recommend URLs that provide free plug-ins for PSE5? TY
Two come to mind -

SmartCurve for a real full featured curve tool - unlike the slider facility that is in PSE5.

Here - http://www.free.pages.at/easyfilter/curves.html

and

Grants Tools that gives you layer masks, a channel mixer and more.

Here - http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challe ... Files.html
John
Thanks to this web site. I had the same problem with a Canon Xsi and PSE6 on Vista.
After searching other sites this thread pointed me in the right direction and solved the problem.
Adobe publication "Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 4.4.1 Read Me" gives the procedure for CS3 and Elements.
7 posts Page 1 of 1