A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I am trying to make a selection on a piece of lace. My friend uses PSP and is able to do it with PNG Optimizer. Is there anything in Elements 6.0 that can duplicate these capabilities?
I don't know what PNG Optimizer is, but have you zoomed way in on the selection you're trying to make? That should help.
I just searched for "PNG Optimizer" and (rather as expected) I only found a small program which compresses files in the PNG format (the "coming thing" for web images - but they've been saying that for years).

I can't see how PNG Optimizer can help select part of a picture for editing purposes.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
The following is an answer in an email response I got after questioning how they achieved the perfect selection of a piece of lace. I worked and worked at it and could not get anywhere close to what they did. I did not know at the time that the person I was questioning was using PSP. This is why I questioned if we had anything in Elements that would be close to this.

This was her answer
You can of course remove the background from the lace picture using the "PNG optimizer" (File, Export, PNG optimizer), but it is a little tricky as the background must be exactly the same colour to make it perfect

I usually scan flowers with a black background and then use the PNG optimizer to remove the black background afterwards.
Well, if you have a single-color, monochromatic background, I would try using the Magic Wand. Click on the background with Contiguous unchecked. Then, inverse the selection - that should give you the lace.

You might want to experiment with modifying the selection (Expand or maybe even Contract) before clicking Inverse.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have tried all of the usual Photoshop tricks but they all come up short compared to hers. I am comparing the same exact image to what she has done in PSP and what I so far have been able to do in Elements. I have actually used the workaround as far as using multiply or screen to hide the background. I was just curious if Elements had anything similar. Again thank you, I am constantly amazed at how many people are so giving and generous with their time and efforts.
Elaine
How about....... duplicate your image, then insert a blank layer in between the background and its copy. Delete the Background Layer. You should now have two layers - a transparent one at the bottom and the "background copy" on top.

Now, using the Magic Wand or the Selection Brush, select the background of the image - or anything else you don't want to keep. Add a small amount of Feathering. Now, on the top layer, either go for the Eraser and wipe over the image (no need to be accurate, you'll only remove the bits you don't want) OR just cut the selection (Ctrl-X).

Now, in the layers palette, right click on the top layer and select "Merge Down". You should now have your subject on a transparent background, in one layer.

Now go to File > Save for Web... and choose PNG-8 or PNG-24, and check the "transparency" box. It will be a big file, but can be altered to a suitable size for the web - which is really what PNG is for. This was what I got...... (and obviously missed a few pixels at the bottom)

PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
7 posts Page 1 of 1