A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
41 posts Page 4 of 5
chas3stix wrote: I went and removed the ACR 3.5 file from PSE5.

Chas,

Went back and reread this thread. It sounds like your problem went away when you deleted the old version of camera raw.

If so, this is the key thing. You must delete, not rename the old camera raw. This is an ongoing problem for elements users installing camera raw.

Can you confirm that you did not delete, and then when deleted, the problem got fixed?
John
This has nothing to do with installing ACR, or even v4.3, but what the heck, nothing has ever stopped us in the past from wandering around with different subjects and this is as good a place as any to ask :lol:

I worked on about 30 RAW images today (ACR 4.1). When I finished my adjustments to each image, I clicked the button in the lower right corner "Open Jpeg". That took me right into PSE Edit where I either made further adjustments or saved the Jpeg file; the Jpegs were all saved to a different folder. When I look at my "RAW Folder" I see all of my images now in pairs.

I have 30 NEF-files and I have 30 same-name xmp-files. What the heck is a ".xmp" file? They are very small, about 7 or 8 KB, and will not open. Is there any reason to have these? Do I need them?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty,
The .xmp file is called a side car file. It contains all the exif information for the file. I hope this helps.
Chuck had a post on the previous PET site all about .xmp files.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
John,
I didn't delete the old ACR files. I moved them into a file where unused shortcuts are stored. Once I re-extracted the zip file to the right folder things began to work.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Well, that's interesting, Chas, Thanks.

If I use IrfanView and look at the Jpegs that resulted from my save (in PSE Edit), all the EXIF info is there. I can't even get the NEF files (the RAW files) to show up. Tried with Exifer - same thing: I can see the Jpegs (and EXIF data) but can't see the RAW files.

I'm not going to worry about it. Now that they are edited, I don't intend to keep the RAW files at all.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty wrote: Well, that's interesting, Chas, Thanks.

If I use IrfanView and look at the Jpegs that resulted from my save (in PSE Edit), all the EXIF info is there. I can't even get the NEF files (the RAW files) to show up. Tried with Exifer - same thing: I can see the Jpegs (and EXIF data) but can't see the RAW files.

I'm not going to worry about it. Now that they are edited, I don't intend to keep the RAW files at all.

Rusty

Rusty, I would recommend keeping the RAW files, at least for the images that are "keepers". Those are your "digital negatives" and a great starting point if you ever wanted to re-edit a photo. They don't have to be kept online, but should at least be on reliable storage media somewhere. Just one person's opinion....
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
OOO....my husband is on a list to get a D300. We hope it comes this week, so the update info is appreciated.
glad you got it working Chas. Could you - or anyone - give me the quick overview of how 4.3 is different from 4.2. Is it worth upgrading??
thanks. elizabeth
elizabeth
ehuntsman.smugmug.com
ejh wrote: glad you got it working Chas. Could you - or anyone - give me the quick overview of how 4.3 is different from 4.2. Is it worth upgrading??
thanks. elizabeth

Only accomodates new cameras. If version 4.2 works, no reason at all to upgrade.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
MichelB wrote:
ejh wrote: glad you got it working Chas. Could you - or anyone - give me the quick overview of how 4.3 is different from 4.2. Is it worth upgrading??
thanks. elizabeth

Only accomodates new cameras. If version 4.2 works, no reason at all to upgrade.

Thanks. think i will stay with v4.2 elizabeth
elizabeth
ehuntsman.smugmug.com
41 posts Page 4 of 5