A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been experimenting with the preset patterns of the pattern stamp tool in PSE 7. Seems I remember in the past versions of PSE you could change the size of the patterns you add to a photo. (Possibly PSE 3?) Guess I'm having a senior moment...:) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Chas in pse 4 i can change them.
under adjustments layer. pattern. You should have a slider to adjust.
pattern.jpg
pattern.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
The Pattern Stamp Tool in PSE6 - and presumably PSE7 - is co-located with the Clone Stamp and works in a similar way. In fact it's just like the Brush Tool - you can use any of the Brushes, any size, any Blend Mode, any Opacity, any Pattern. You also have the option of using it as an "Impressionist" brush (which gives a kind of cloudy look) or without it, which keeps it looking like the pattern chosen. Odd tool really - something for the creative side rather than photo manipulation, I'd say.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff,
Something doesn't seem to be right with the pattern stamp tool. I can enlarge the brush, but the only thing that happens is the area covered gets larger. The actual size of the pattern stays small. Am I missing something here?
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Chas i want to know how to change the pattern size within the brush clone stamp tool also i never could find a way.
Well, it IS a strange tool.....

There seem to be a couple of ways to actually change the pattern from, say, a wide weave to a tight weave. One way is to make a new blank layer, go to Edit > Fill Layer and choose the pattern you want. Then go to the Move Tool, grab a corner handle and reduce it in size (if you increase the canvas size you could then enlarge the pattern).
Not much good like that, but you could either use the eraser to remove parts or put a Layer Mask on the new layer and do the same.

Another way is with the Pattern Stamp Tool, but on a new layer. When you've put down some of the pattern, you can go to the Move tool and manipulate it - resize, move, rotate etc.

I only just discovered that there are some PostScript pattern files tucked inside the Patterns folder. They can be opened, manipulated, resized etc..... but you can't re-save them. Maybe you wouldn't need to, as long as they do their job and stay in place.

Obviously this really isn't in my sphere of knowledge - perhaps one of those books about creative work in Elements might explain it........ I haven't looked, but I doubt that the Adobe Help files are much use.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Thanks,Geoff.
I'll give it a try.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
7 posts Page 1 of 1