A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
23 posts Page 2 of 3
Chas,

Open both pictures in Elements. One will be open in the main window; both will be down in the photo bin at the bottom of the screen. Drag the other image up onto the one you have open; that should create a second layer. Now you have them both in the same file on two different layers. If you look at my screenshot above you will see that is exactly what I did with three different versions of the same image. And, I was using Graffi's mask on two of those layers.

I am using PSE5 and recall somebody mentioning that "dragging" was a bit different for PSE6 or maybe it was PSE7 ... I don't know anything about 6 or 7

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I think after PSE5 it was changed so you have to do the following:

1. Window, Images, Tile (or Cascade). This will put both images in their own window in the workspace.

2. On the layers palette (panel?) click and drag the background from the active picture to the other one. This will put the background layer from one image as a copy layer on the other or dragged- to image.
John
Yes, in PSE6 and later, the Bin at the bottom does a different job..... pictures dragged from there make "frame layers" and it's all part of the "Creative" side of Elements - probably worth getting to know if you're more into making scrapbooks or different effects. I don't know much about it but a good Elements book should have it.

If you want to drag an image from one file to another, have both files open in the Editor first. Then it's simple... an image, or selection, that's dragged and dropped into another file will appear as a new layer.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I'm using PSE6. In order to avoid getting frame layers instead of regular layers, I always cut and paste. Open both images as described by others, then do a select all on one of them, copy, go to the other and do a paste. That gets you both layers in one file. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking Chas, as I've seen your scraplift and know you are able to do this already... I hope my tip was helpful though.

Courtney
Here's a little more info.Photo#1 open in editor. Photo #2 in photo bin. When I drag from the photo bin, all I get is a small fingernail sized photo in the middle of the screen with the first photo as a background. Possibly something wrong with my preferences?
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
If you are working with PSE 6
Open both images in editor then drag the one that is active to the other one in the bin.
Just the opposite of what it was in PSE5.
Gary

Rebel xti ~ 18-200mm ~ 70-300mm ~ PSE6 ~ Windows Vista Premium 64

Gary's Gallery
Chas,

I have PSE7 installed on my laptop and the only way I can get the layer to "drag and drop" is by the method I mentioned a while back.

If you are proceeding from camera raw, the complete sequence is:

1. Open image in camera raw, adjust sliders, open into photoshop editor

2. Once open, do a File, Duplicate, then close the original image.

3. open image in camera raw, sdjust sliders to second settings, open into photoshop editor.

4. do a Window, Images, Tile. (you will see both versions of the image. One of them is active and its layer thumbnail is indicated in the layers panel.

5. Click and drag on the Layer thumbnailand move it over the "other image". Release the clicker.

6. Done, Now add layer mask and start revealing the image you want.
John
Sure sounds to me that, when PSE5 was to be replaced, Adobe couldn't leave well enough alone and just had to improve it.

Drag and Drop worked just fine all the way thru ver.5 ... now I guess we have something better(?). Not having either 6 or 7 I probably shouldn't knock it 'till I've tried it. But, sure seems overly complicated to me.

Rusty

Rusty,

I thought that PSE5 was pretty good and I really liked the way you could drag stuff from the photo bin and drop it as a layer on another/active image.

One other thing I don't like is that the PSE7 photo bin thumbnails have to be double-clicked to get the active image changed/selected in the workspace.

I am using PSE5 and PSE7 for teahing purposes only and now do all my personal work in Lr and CS3.

What do you think the chances are that Adobe would listen to us and change back to the good old way of PSE5! :rotfl: :rotfl:
John
What do you think the chances are that Adobe would listen to us and.....

I have always wondered how much of this stuff is "geek-driven" and how much is "user-driven"? I'm not talking about just Adobe, but many, many commercial products.

I can remember calling "my programmer" to ask for either a new application or tweaks to something I was using. We would meet, I would outline what I wanted (usually had it on paper to give to him before the meeting), he would nod and leave. Days (sometimes weeks) later he would return, direct my PC to the test area of the company website and step me thru his creation. These were pretty sharp guys and, more often than not, he would nail it -- just what I wanted.

BUT ... also more often than not, there would be some crap I didn't recognize. I would ask, "What is this stuff?" He would proudly explain that he thought of more additional enhancements and it was cost effective to add those at the same time he was doing what I asked for. This guy had no clue what I was doing or how I was going to use what I asked for. I appreciate his initiative, he obviously thinks ... just needs to check with a user to make sure his bright idea really is bright.

How many of the Photoshop programmers are photographers that use the product? Some, for sure. But, how well do they review planned changes with "real users"?

Rusty

23 posts Page 2 of 3