A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
Do you use the smart blur filter?
I don't use it except for creative effects. Used alone in normal mode, it is not very interesting, but it can be blended with other effects and produce an effective simplification.
What I am using mostly is the 'edge only' mode. This mode is puzzling. First of all, it has nothing to do with blurring...

Let's try it. /filter/blur/smart blur...
Radius and threshold setting is a matter of trial and error. Try something like 10,20 to begin with. Mode 'edge only'. To check the result change the control view magnification to see more or less details. Clik ok. The result is a curious sketch in white on a black background. You'll probably prefer to invert (Ctrl I) to see a more conventional black sketch. Zoom in and out to see the effect in detail or overall. Really, nothing like blur. Since the purpose of smart blur is to blur while respecting the edges and contours, you might think what you are seeing is an edge mask. The result is very different from the 'find edges' filter. It may be interesting as such, but you'll probably find it has too much detail and does not look like any traditional sketching modes.

I find I can get more pleasing results in two ways:
- either by combining the result with another sketching method like 'find edges', varying the opacity and modes of different layers
- or applying another filter: /filter/stylize/diffuse (anisotropic) and perhaps add grain.

Like other sketching methods you can use a layer copy of the original picture above the other layers in color mode with reduced opacity. And to finish, consider adding texture or tint.

An example:
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/2031670

Edit: about the 'edges only' creating an edge mask, I just checked it, and I find it very effective.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thanks Michel - I'll have to go and try it out. Your sketch is absolutely beautiful.
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Thanks Michelle... My next experiment will be with relatively low-res pictures like those of my camera phone. I suspect it will be possible to have good sketches.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Thanks, Michel for explaining. Can't wait to try it
Michel, I love your sketch. I'm off to give it a try.
Well now, isn't this fun.
This is what I started with:
DSC_6819 Sketch Before.jpg
DSC_6819 Sketch Before.jpg (131.05 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

Then:
DSC_6819 Sketch How.jpg
DSC_6819 Sketch How.jpg (113.29 KiB) Viewed 5459 times

And ended up with this:
DSC_6819 Sketch (Michel).jpg
DSC_6819 Sketch (Michel).jpg (149.88 KiB) Viewed 5457 times

Thank you, Michel

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Michel, Thanks for the suggestions; it's fun to have new things to try. Here is what I came up with for my first try.

Courtney

Attachments

Excellent Rusty and Courtney! The first try is a masterpiece :thumbsup:
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Wow, great Rusty & Courtney.

Thanks for the explanation, Michel. I like your sketch picture, now I know how you did it! :thumbsup:
Thanks Michel! I will give it a try when I get photoshop reinstalled! :thanks:
13 posts Page 1 of 2