A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
I have been and I am still using mainly sRGB. For many good reasons:
- I mostly print via web services like mypix.com, order books or share my photos on the web.
- My home printer is a HPC7280 all-in-one with 6 inks. I never found a way to disable the color managing via the printer. I suppose that will prevent any advanced calibration of the printer...
- I also admit the main reason is that I am sure I'll forget some day to convert to sRGB when needed, and I know the result... So I have chosen a good and safe color mode which gives me very good results for my taste.

However...
1- I am considering changing my old CRT display. If I also consider the price for a decent PVA or IPS panel monitor plus an adequate calibration tool (the price of two good prime lenses...) Wide gamut?
2 - I was convinced very few of my raw pictures contained 'out of gamut' colors for sRGB (bright cyan/green/blue). I recently changed my mind having to process sea landscape from the Mediterranean (Corsica) of a friend of mine... and the blue eyes of my grand children!

So, discussing on various forums, I was told that even relatively low-cost home printers with 6 inks were able to take advantage of aRGB.

I chose a raw file with both flesh tones and pale blues/cyans:
http://michelbretecher.perso.sfr.fr/IMG_0410.CR2

I processed them from raw in both color spaces, letting the HP Printer manage either color space, and looked at the results on HP Premium+ paper.

Main difficulties to compare the results: long drying time of Premium+ paper and viewing light quality.
However, whatever the viewing light, the differences side by side are rather obvious. I'll ask other non expert people to tell their preference.

I prefer the softer gradation in the blue/cyan with aRGB. sRGB gives brighter colors and unexpectedly more detail contrast in thoses blue/cyan (more aparent definition).

For those interested to test by themselves, first tell me if you can download the raw file...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Hmmmmmmmm,

I tried to look at your file. ACDSee would not open. Tried to open in PSE7 and got the message that the Tiff file used an unsupported compression.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty wrote: Hmmmmmmmm,

I tried to look at your file. ACDSee would not open. Tried to open in PSE7 and got the message that the Tiff file used an unsupported compression.

Rusty

I just re-imported the .CR2 from the link. I could open it in:
- PSE6 + ACR 5.6
- ACDSee Pro 3
- Ufraw
- CANON DPP
- Fastone Viewer...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
I was able to open it in CS3 also.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thanks very much, Gene :thanks:
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Michel,

Fascinating information on colour spaces. FYI, I have been able to open it in PSE4, PSE5 and CS3 also.

I opened the image in CS3, used the color sampler tool which leaves a marker, then changed from aRGB, sRGB, and ProPhoto RGB (used by Lr and availabe in CS3). I then used the history tool and went back step by step thru the colour spaces and was amazed to see how much the RGB values changes for the sample space chosen.

..........................R G B
ProPhoto RGB: 118, 150, 183
...............aRGB: 111, 171, 197
...............sRGB: 64, 172, 200

I created 3 documents - one for each colour profile, plugged the numbers into the colour palette and painted in the documents – each of the various combinations created the same apparent colour in the document (with the appropriate colour space). If I crossed over, and painted in the wrong color space, the results were completely different. I cant post these as the post would have to be in sRGB, but fascinating stuff.

Myself, I process in ProPhoto RGB (Lr native colour space) and print from that on my Canon i9900 printer with excellent results. If I print at COSTCO or elsewhere outside, I convert to sRGB.
John
Well, I guess I have gremlins of some sort.
ACDSee knows it is an image file (see Exif info), but it appears as a solid black rectangle.
CR2 image _ACDSee.jpg
CR2 image _ACDSee.jpg (145.61 KiB) Viewed 5025 times

PSE7 gives me the compression message. PSE5 gives me the same message.
CR2 image _PSE7.jpg
CR2 image _PSE7.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 5025 times

I had ver 5.4.0.57 of ACR installed so I went to Adobe's site and downloaded ACR 5.6 That didn't make a bit of difference.

Oh well.

Rusty

Rusty.

Seems odd. why are you getting a message about a TIFF file when you are opening Camera RAW (.cr2).

Is it possible that your download is corrupt?

EDIT:

Rusty: Are you doing an Open As?

Try doing a file open, select the .cr2 file and click O.K. - straight open, not open as

I get your message when I do an open as TIFF file!
John
John,
I tried everything I could think of:
Open
Open As (Raw)
Open As (Tiff)

Nothing worked. Then, just for the heck of it, I just now went back and did it again; Open As Camera Raw opened right up. I did absolutely nothing differently.

As I said .... gremlins.

Rusty

The photo opened just fine using CS4. My own preference is to use sRGB for web-only photos and then print using Adobe RGB 1998. This works fine depending on the photo paper I'm using.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
11 posts Page 1 of 2