A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
21 posts Page 2 of 3
From my recent experience with the weekly SYI & Crop Challenges, only a few were interested in participating (or viewing). It was as if member interest was burned out.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
I really learned from the crop challenge---to look closer, inspect details---and now I use that in my photography. Often I will look for those details before I take the picture, mental cropping if you will. But the crop challenge seemed to become another SYI and I lost interest.

The SYI is fine. I'd really like a 'pure' art challenge, especially portrait as I get little chance to 'shoot' people.

Would love to have the tut challenge back---thanks, BJ for starting one this week! I learned so much from these and from Kimi's homework and truly miss both. (Sorry, I don't think I can take on either on a regular basis.)

This forum has really been my inspiration. Have loved the encouragement and helpfulness. Right now I'm going through the tuts posted on here as I had forgotten many that were my favorites.
I for one am absent from the forum a lot more than I like to be. I miss sharing with you all and seeing what you are all doing. I doing over 40 newsletters a month, creating the promotional pieces we use now and often do postcards and logos and other such stuff that keeps me pretty busy. Plus, with my back and not finding the a good Dr. here yet I haven't felt much like getting out and taking pictures and I really hate that. As you all have probably noticed anything I do post in my gallery is new babies in my family and those photos I have to steal from their Facebook sites most of the time. lol

I pop in when I can to check on things but rarely have time to post. I so miss it.

I have seen lows in the forum many times and it is usually this time of year with everyone traveling and spending time with family over the Summer months. Hopefully that is all it is this time as well.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
For some of us newbies, would you let us know what SYI is all about, please? Also, there is a ton of tutorials at www.elementsvillage.com/forums. I personally would like to learn the basics of the scrapbooking side of digital photography. I see so many gorgeous pages on this forum and then just wonder how they were put together. I'm not sure how many folks are at my level of scrapbooking (below beginner) but for some of us, that would be good to see. This is the very first thing I check each day after the e-mail has been taken care of and I would love to see it continue as it is now and even maybe with some tutorials.
weez wrote: For some of us newbies, would you let us know what SYI is all about, please? Also, there is a ton of tutorials at http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums. I personally would like to learn the basics of the scrapbooking side of digital photography. I see so many gorgeous pages on this forum and then just wonder how they were put together. I'm not sure how many folks are at my level of scrapbooking (below beginner) but for some of us, that would be good to see. This is the very first thing I check each day after the e-mail has been taken care of and I would love to see it continue as it is now and even maybe with some tutorials.

Hi Weez,

SYI stands for Show Your Imagination. A photo or two would be posted for people to edit however they liked and post the result. When there was more participation on the site we had weekly challenges: Make Art Monday (which we continue to do), Template Tuesday, Crop Challenge... I think was Wednesday, Show Your Imagination I think was Thursdays. Kimi used to post weekly homework assignments which were mini tutorial type lessons. For awhile we had "Scrap My Photos" and "Scraplift" challenges. You might be interested in going back through the archives to see some of those old threads.

Courtney
We also use to have a monthly newsletter that went quarterly and just died out because of lack of contributions. You can still get the past editions that are full of great tutorials by our members that you won't find on the forum (we tried to keep them off the forum so it was something different for the newsletters). Go to this link viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1294 and every edition of the newsletter is posted here.

Maybe now that Kimi's daughters wedding is over she will back and posting homework again.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
weez wrote: For some of us newbies, would you let us know what SYI is all about, please?

Weez, The past SYI & Crop challenges (& variations) can be found in the Challenge Yourself section
viewforum.php?f=8&start=150 There were about 100 of each.
ElementsVillage has an ongoing fun, SYI-type challenge if you are interested. It is called EZ Challenge, hosted by Ellen.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in bringing SYI back, nor in providing tutorials, ---- or even in participating in tutorials.
Monday, there was a tutorial challenge - only 3 participated.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8444

Yesterday, there was thread asking for people to help provide tutorials & suggestions -- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8446
As you can see, not many responded or offered to do anything. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be motivation to do much for this forum other than discuss.

I am also a member of ElementsVillage (since 2007)
If you (or others) haven't checked out the scrapbooking section, here it is
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=14

This is the subscribers area: http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/topics/
The subscription provides about 300-400 tutorial videos by good professionals. There is also a quarterly magazine.

Hope this info helps those who want more tutorials or challenges, as it doesn't look favorable that many more offered here.
Betty
Tina, you were interested in more tutorials. Those at Elements Village, as mentioned by Weez, look interesting.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=22
Also, a weekly tutorial challenge Be Creative - http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=11
& of course there is the wonderful collection of hundreds of videos in the subscription area.
Betty
Hi,
I've not been on line much this last month or so.
I think that the trouble with the forum is that there seems to be too much emphasis on competitions. I think that most people would like to see more instructions.
I am at the moment finishing a tut that I hope will be helpful to less experienced members. I will post it as soon as I can,
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
kevq wrote: I think that the trouble with the forum is that there seems to be too much emphasis on competitions. I
Kev.

Are you referring to the IOW & POW contests?
The other challenges do not have posted winners. They are basically to just "have fun & learn a little".

Looking forward to your tutorial :thumbsup:
Betty
21 posts Page 2 of 3