A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Question: If you took a four element pano and divided it into two smaller panos,could you then combine the two smaller panos into one larger pano? Has anyone out there ever tried this?
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Interesting question. I would think you'd still need to do some enlarging to make it bigger. It would be kind of hard to divide something into pieces, and put them back together and end up with a larger whole object. Not without adding to it, anyway.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
chas3stix wrote: Question: If you took a four element pano and divided it into two smaller panos,could you then combine the two smaller panos into one larger pano? Has anyone out there ever tried this?
Chas

You're confusing me! :shock:

Are you making the final pano in 2 separate steps? I've only used the PSE tool that auto-magically does it all for you. Works great for me.

Courtney
Well, how about trying it out and letting us know?

Personally, I think you would get the best results with all 4 original images and using the option about blending layers automatically - may depend on what version of Elements or Photoshop you have.

I have done a max of 8 3504x2336 from my Canon 30D in portrait mode and produced an 11038x2913 of a mountain range near Lake Louise. Took a while on my XP with CS3, but I was having supper so no big deal.

It is this one - resized for web upload.
John
Courtney,
What I was wondering about is splitting a four frame pano into two sets of two photos then merging the two two-piece panos into one. The four panel pano is very long on width and quite short on the height. I'm just trying to get around this.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Chas, I think you could do it in 2 steps as you explained, it should work. I'm not sure if it will help much with the long and narrow shape of it though.

Courtney
I did some experimenting over the last hour. 4 frame vs.2X2 frame panos look almost identical.
Pano #1 (4 frame pano)PSE9 2534H X9318W 13.5 mb file size 24" X8" document size

Pano#2 (2X2 pano) CS4 1774 H X7970 W 7.36 mb file size 110"X24"document size
The CS4 did a better job of merging the panos with less cropping of the final pano
Chas
P.S. Had to use CS4 for the 2X2 because PSE wouldn't process it.....probably because of the large file sizes.
Chas's Gallery
I've done it ... several times.

I needed to do it when I screwed up and didn't provide quite enough overlap between the individual images and Adobe Panomerge was confused attempting to figure out what to do. When I only gave Panomerge two images to work with, it merged them correctly. Then I went and used my remaining two images to create another pano. Then, I deleted all of the open files except the two 2-image panos and told photomerge to create a panorama from those two files ... worked just fine.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
8 posts Page 1 of 1