Post your before and after pictures here.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
First time I'm posting on this thread. Two versions of the same photo from our trip to Yellowstone national Park. One is color and the other black and white. Even though the colors are vivid, i like the b&w version. Comments,Please?
Chas
Img00310029.jpg
Img00310029.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Img00310029-1bw.jpg
Img00310029-1bw.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
That looks really good, chas
Hope you don't mind but I did a little playing with your picture. A couple of things came to mind right off that I wanted to try. This is a great subject by the way!!!! ;)

First, I might try cropping a bit. Two came to mind and I have put them both here.
Calcium-cone-Crop-1.jpg
Calcium-cone-Crop-1.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Calcium-cone-Crop-2.jpg
Calcium-cone-Crop-2.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Personally, I like #2 better, but you may even consider cropping out more of the mineral field below the cone. The reason being, I think there's too much sky and its taking away from your main subject, Mr. Cone Head.

And I don't know if you see it or not, but that thing looks like it has a face in it. My eyes can see a distinct pair of eyes and mouth at the bottom of it, and he's brooding about something.....
Calcium-Cone-B&W-#2-.jpg
Calcium-Cone-B&W-#2-.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 976 times

I thought it could use a bump up in contrast, and a little brightness taken away. All I did was dial up the contrast to +10, and dial back the brightness to -5. I think that would go with however you decided to crop, if you do. What do you think?
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Chas,
It's no secret that I like bright vivid colors. I think the B&W is so effective because, with this image, the focus is the calcium cone. In this case, the pretty sky and strong green trees detract from what you want as your focus.

Now, if you had one of those neat thermal springs with the algae colored rings, it would be heresy to convert to B&W :mrgreen:

Rusty

PS - I agree with Gene on the Brightness/Contrast change.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Gene,
The crop job you did really makes the photo more effective. I didn't do very much with the contrast because this is how Graffi's lab b&w conversion left it. Funny,I never did notice the facial features on the cone.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Rusty,
Don't worry,my hot springs/pools photos will never see b&w.
Although I do have some mud pot photos that probably look better as b&w.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Chas, Gene crop is the way to go.

Rusty you said "Now, if you had one of those neat thermal springs with the algae colored rings, it would be heresy to convert to B&W." Get out of here. :mrgreen:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Exellent conversion,Chas! :D
8 posts Page 1 of 1