Post your before and after pictures here.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Okay, so some of you may remember that I did retouched some portraits that a friend of mine took of my son. Well, after a year of looking at my son's b&w portrait on the wall, framed and looking very handsome, I decided to give it another try. I've learned so much in the past year...had to give it another go. I am posting the original color, and now the new and hopefully improved B & W. As always, any critique would be appreciated. I applied an omni lighting effect near his left eye...does it look okay?

Well, here goes: Edit: Oh, My son does not smoke! They were goofing around and wanted to surprise me :shock:! (It was a Cuban Cohiba, though!)

Before
before1.jpg
before1.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

After
mikeyweb3.jpg
mikeyweb3.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Very nice cigar! Also a very nice B&W of your son. Tonal range of your image is great from the whites of his eyes to the black of his hair (and his eyes). The eyes look good; perhaps a slightly less lighting effect might be better, but its hard to judge. One of the ways I judge my own photos is to place it on the desktop of my computer for a few days. That way I can look at it every time I use the computer and usually after a few days I discover something that I might try changing. The only other suggestion might be to add a little more background above his head, but not too much; the eyes are already near the 1/3 location down from the top, so you don't want to throw that off. Very nice image! I hope you plan to print it and hang it on the wall.
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Sela, very well done. I would bet Don will give this an A+ for sure. I like the original too.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I love the look on his face. The orginal is terrific, you should of done the whole one in B/W. The only thing for me is maybe a little to much light on face and for me the whites of his eyes are to bright for the rest of the picture.
Oh, boy! Thanks for all the input. I will add a little more background to the top above his head...great tip!

A bit less lighting effect near the left eye is a bit of a problem.

I may just do the original with the cigar. after all, Michael is half Cuban! (I don't condone smoking, but it is a pretty cool shot!)

Okay....Gonna go make some adjustments! I knew I came to the right place for advice!

By the way, I do have this portrait on the wall and framed, but not 100 percent happy with it, that's why I want to give it another try.

I'll be back with another version!

Thanks so much!
version No. 2..... better?
Version-NO.-2.jpg
Version-NO.-2.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 970 times

Version No. 3...
version-no.-3-web.jpg
version-no.-3-web.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 967 times
OK, I think the eyes do look much better, much more natural. I like it! ... A Lot! The complete photo with the cigar is also a great image, but this is the one that should be hanging on your wall.
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
version 3 gets my vote. I agree with Joe the original is the best!!
Yep, that's it! You really have an eye for b&w. Excellent job.
~coco~
the view

from here
Oh what a handsome young man! Fantastic work Sela! :D
10 posts Page 1 of 1