Post your before and after pictures here.
16 posts Page 2 of 2
chas3stix wrote: Michel,
Fine rendering of the photo. My b&w technique needs a lot of work.For some reason I'm always fearful of making the b&w too dark. I'm glad everyone is showing their creativity
with this photo. BTW I really like your bird photos on Nikondigital.org.
Chas

hmmm... I am fond of birds, and I highly respect Nikon owners... but I do not use Nikondigital.org, it's someone else!

Link to various B&W conversions techniques applied to your image in my PrestoPhoto gallery:
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/22620
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Mitchel:
"Link to various B&W conversions techniques applied to your image in my PrestoPhoto gallery:"
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/22620

Oh brother, you did a remarcable job with those conversions.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Don,
About B&W conversion methods:
I think my tries may mislead newcomers to B&W. The secret is not technical methods. If you find a few of those give good results for this image, for others photos they won't be satisfying.
And I did not mention the one most suited to the creative painters here: dodging and burning, often called 'paint with light'. With some art and patience, you can get exactly what you wish for every picture, and it is generally a good final editing after other conversions. See my other post about the road: not necessarily better, but an example of how you can change an image.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1711
As you already mentioned, seeing in black and white is the first requirement.
Then you have to start with a good distribution of tones (levels, curves...)
Taking advantage of the colors already present in the image is what most conversion actions or techniques offer. Channels, hue/sat adjustments, even in ACR... This is true for landscapes as well as portraits.
Adding 'pop' by using USM or highpass gives local contrast enhancement.
Adding a vignette to concentrate on the subject is common.
And once you are familiar with paint with light, you'll use it on about every image. That's what Ansel Adams and other masters did
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Mitchel:
You stated "The secret is not technical methods. If you find a few of those give good results for this image, for others photos they won't be satisfying."
I agree with you 200%. In every art form there is a "Ying and Yang" for lack of other words. Finding it is an art on itself. The ability to understand and diversify method and aplication of technique can"t be found in books or tutorials it comes with dedication and hard work.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Michel,
I assumed it was your bird photos on Nikondigital.org. I guess there's other Michels from France. Is it because Michel is a popular name in France? BTW the IR version of the Bristlecone Pine is very impressive.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
chas3stix wrote: Michel,
I assumed it was your bird photos on Nikondigital.org. I guess there's other Michels from France. Is it because Michel is a popular name in France? BTW the IR version of the Bristlecone Pine is very impressive.
Chas

Chas,
Yes, Michel was the most popular first name in France just after World War 2. The IR is standard in PSE6 B&W conversion filter. Very good addition.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
16 posts Page 2 of 2