Post your before and after pictures here.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I wanted to look at the remnants of ice sculpture after an extreme thaw (hit mid 40s one day) followed by a very hard freeze and return to normal weather around here :D

I was hoping the forms would be still recognizable for whatever they had been, just squished around some. Not even close, but I had fun playing with three...

Ice-1.jpg
Ice-1.jpg (137.5 KiB) Viewed 798 times

Ice-2.jpg
Ice-2.jpg (143.47 KiB) Viewed 798 times

Ice-3.jpg
Ice-3.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 798 times

I put all three in my gallery if anyone has interest in a better quality version. This is another case where I believe the color versions more effective than B&W to suggest the coldness of ice.

I shot these in RAW and processed each image twice. First with correct WB (bright sun daylight -- what you see as "before") and then again setting the WB for fluorescent. That produced an extreme blue cast. Used layers to stack the two images in one file and changed the blend mode of the top (blue) layer to Color Burn -- played a bit with the opacity of that layer.

Critique welcome :)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, don't you just love the weather this year? The snow has just started here again. Suppose to be bad through 7 pm tomorrow.

Interesting effects you have done on the ice sculptures. I like the blue in the first and third. The b&w in the second one does nothing for it.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I sort of like the B/W, maybe less black. I wonder what it would look like if you took the B/W and overlayed the blue version..lowered opacity..just wondering to myself. No, ice or snow here, to photograph, just rain, rain and more rain. All most everyday for the last 30 days. Yuck
Oh Brother Rusty:
You knock my sucks off my feet without removing my boots with the Ice-2.
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about this... Ice don't have to be ice that is the beauty of abstractions. Not only that but it is fantastic when we can turn something in to another thing and keep it been the original thing. It's not that great? Hope you get the picture :mrgreen:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Yes, Kim,
very interesting weather. We are getting the same snow forecast you describe. When the TV talking heads can't rant about football anymore, they start in on the weather. If we listened to these people, we would turn our homes into caves and not come out 'till April.

Suzi, that is a neat idea.
And, it sure wouldn't have to be much. Very low opacity would give just a hint of blue; a lot like what I was after when I tinted rinse water for prints. I'm gonna try that.

Don, Amigo,
I understand just what you are saying. Remember when I look in your gallery at your Shipwreck and said I didn't realize it was a shipwreck until I saw the color version? OK, doesn't have to be ice sculpture either :D I'm getting there.

Thanks to all for looking and commenting

Rusty

Following on Suzi's suggestion, I added a blue photo filter to the B&W.
Dropped strength and then opacity down quite a bit.

Ice-2_blue-filter.jpg
Ice-2_blue-filter.jpg (122.76 KiB) Viewed 725 times

Just a hint of color, not much. I tried several things but couldn't figure out how to make the blacks "less black"

Rusty

Rusty, I really really like the way that came out...terrific
7 posts Page 1 of 1