Post your before and after pictures here.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I was raking the roof today for a neighbor and spotted an interesting 'snow pattern' --- thinking that's really cool, there must be a picture in there somewhere.

Snow_before.jpg
Snow_before.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

I took a half dozen or so shots, zooming in and out. Played around in Elements for several hours; never could find anything -- I guess I need more practice looking for the picture in the picture

The only thing I thought might be worthwhile was one of several I took from the side.

I printed the B&W version. DW looked at it, turned it every which way, reminded me of the cartoon of a man in art gallery trying to figure out which end is up, finally asked, "What is this supposed to be?" Me: "That's an abstract." DW: "Hmmph, doesn't look like anything to me!"

Well, OK, I had fun playing. What do you folks think, are all destined for the digital trash can? Any bright ideas on what to do with any of the head-on shots?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
First off, one huge question, RAKING THE ROOF, whatever for????
As for the photos in your first pixentral post, I really like the first 2 on the top..the ones with more of the house showing and the B/W next to it. Don't throw those away..cool shots
Rusty, I hope you don't mind but I play with this a little..punched the colors up and cropped just alittle

Snow_before-copy.jpg
Snow_before-copy.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 979 times
We have to rake the snow off the roof to help keep the weight off. You have to watch so you don't get ice dams that rediredt water to cause leaks. As I drove arund town shopping today I noticed lots of snow drift sculptures like your photo. So many icicles hanging off the edges of the roof lines. We have more snow on the way tonight. I am ready for dirt and weeds.
Tina B
Thanks, Suzi

A 'roof rake' is a hard plastic thingy, about 2' long and 3" high. It is attached to the end of a 20' aluminum pole (3 sections snap together). You stand on the ground and sorta stick it up there. The pole sags so the "scraper" drops down onto the snow on the roof. You pull towards your body and the snow is "raked" off the roof. Great upper body exercise :twisted:

If you are working a 1-story section, you can go back six feet or so. If a 2-story section, only two or three feet. No matter how well insulated, most houses lose heat thru the roof. This starts melting the snow but, when it gets over the overhang and in the gutter area, there is no house below that part of the roof losing heat so it freezes into ice. The other snow is still melting from heat loss but the water has no where to go so it starts backing up under the shingles. It can, and will - I can attest, damage plaster ceilings. Raking off the snow from the edges helps avoid those ice dams.

Oh Lord, I will be so happy when Spring comes.

I think you are right on the pics -- I was probably cropping too close. I'm going to follow your advice and keep fooling around with those. I like what you did with it -- think I was being too moody (as my daughter says, "artsy fartsy")

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
That sounds a lot like work to me. Glad we don't get snow here. Glad you liked that I did though it was not much just pushed the color up
Rusty, You gotta quit hogging all the snow down there. I haven't had enough to go snow shoeing since before Christmas! :crying: This one is just gonna miss me too. I put heat tape on my roof, so don't have to rake, just plug it in.
Rusty, I like them, especially the first one. Seeing it posted here before it is extended to the full size is cool and has an interesting perspective and depth.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
8 posts Page 1 of 1