Post your before and after pictures here.
27 posts Page 1 of 3
In a post today, I mentioned that I would like to see people post images that they wanted help with (how to crop, improve color, etc).
So here is an example of what I mean. This is a picture of great-grandma and Alexis. I love the expressions on their faces but overall image is bad.
What would you do to capture the expressions and fix this. Feel free to play with the image anyway you want.

I did download the photo and I will see what I can do with it.
Tina B
Thank you, Tina
Mammyw.jpg
Mammyw.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

- tighter crop
- slight denoising (Neat Image)
- local sharpening (with mask)
- local unsharpening (high pass layer, inverted), with mask
- Dodging and burning eyes
- enhancing catch lights in and around the eyes, spectacles...
- Darkening around the faces (slight dark elliptical vignette)
- obviously a dark frame (probably not the best...) from PSE6.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Very, very nice, Michel. How did you get the almost dreamy or creamy feel to the image?
Suzi, I'm at work and don't have elements here (and Elements is slow using remote desktop), but I'll try tonight. One thing I'd do is crop it close and square. I know I'd love to get help more often, though I usually am not confident enough to ask for it :) -
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
suzib wrote: Very, very nice, Michel. How did you get the almost dreamy or creamy feel to the image?

It may be due to the initial denoising (less than half strength), but most of it is due to the high pass 'unsharpening' (I don't like to call it blurring). Begin with a duplicate layer in soft light mode. Apply the highpass filter (about 1 pixel here), which enhances edge contrast. Invert the layer (Ctrl I) which soften the edges and masks remaining graininess. To limit the effect, I added a black mask and painted white selectively on faces and hands. Using a simple layer copy with gaussian blur would be theoretically equivalent to the high pass trick, but why make it simple? We are here to have fun!
Speaking of fun, how do I add a smiley in my text?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Sunny, thank you, I will be most interested to see what you come up with. Secondly I am hopeing to get more members who want help with images to start doing this, so please post away. There are so many times that you think you can turn a hoohum image into something wonderful but can't quite figure out how.
Micheal, thanks for the info, I have copied it to my notebook
To add a smiley to your text just click on the one you want.. :wave:
Here is my try:
I wanted to only highlight their faces for expressions & a few lighted candles & cropped closer.
Christell
cropped closer
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
The second crop is great, Christell. I am loving all the intel on this image
27 posts Page 1 of 3