Post your before and after pictures here.
27 posts Page 2 of 3
Suzi, earlier this year I watched a wonderful video tutorial on workflow. This was from the NoBS website.

The very first thing this man did with all, or most all images was what he called "De Fog"

DeFog.jpg
DeFog.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 607 times

The top is what I downloaded and below is what happens if you apply Unsharp Mask with settings of 20-60-0 I find myself doing this with just about every image I work with. Now, this of course adds sharpening which you don't want so I then applied the Neat Image filter to remove noise as Michel explained...

NeatImage.jpg
NeatImage.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 605 times

Now you are ready to crop, dodge, burn, vignette, frame, etc ... all of the composition stuff :D
This is really a great, expressive image.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
That de-fogging is a really good tip, I think I will be doing that to all my images also. Thanks, Rusty. I love the expressions, would love to make a print for Great-grandma and Alexis. I am writing down all the suggestions and when I get a final version will post for critique. Might be awhile, keep those suggestions coming.
I tried, but I'm not getting anything as good as the others......I've got so much to learn!! I'm glad to know about the unsharp mask settings; oh, I downloaded Neat Image, too. So, you needed help; I couldn't help, but you got good help, and I learned something new. Great deal all around, right?
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I am so glad you got some good out of this, I am working on posting 2 versions of the help I got. I am so hoping more members who want help with images will do this. It can be so informative
I agree, Suzi.........I'm here to learn and help when I'm able. We've got a good thing going......just needed a shot in the arm. :D
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Well, here is what I came up with. I took bits from all of you, Michel and Rusty the noise, eyes, glasses, sharpening, darkening the edges, de-fog and more. Christell I used your tight crop but maybe even more so , I muted the colors on one alittle because they seems to harsh and of course I had to try a B/W. I can't thank you guys enough for your input. What you think of the final versions???? Still need changes???

I like them both, but I think I like the muted color one the best. Great Grandma will love it.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Thank you so much, Sunny. I sure hope she does, she is my greatest critic.
I like all of the pictures, but i am really drawn to the effect MichelB gave the photo. So warm.
Of the two choices, muted color looks best to me.
Considering all the efforts, I vote for Michel's

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
27 posts Page 2 of 3