Post your before and after pictures here.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
My sister has emailed me about 100 old family photos they all need some type of repair. Domt know if i am up to that much fixin. Here is one before and after, (yes that is as far as i got.) What do you all think?
before

after
Excellent job.

She sent about a hundred? Wow, I hope that was an example of a really bad one -- not an easy one :D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, i think that one was not to bad, some of them have those black speckles on them, I think they are a lot more tedious to work on. She is on a roll going thru mas pictures. I wil post some more later. Glad you like my results. I am kinda new at restoring.
You did a great job on that. I envy you for being able to do that.
suzib, i used the clone tool a lot, and the heal tool for little speckles. I am so happy you like the end result. One down 99 or so to go.
Judy, Very nicely done. You must be a very patient person. The time and discipline for that work is demanding. Again, very good work. :)
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
One additional thought on your restoration project...
It has been my experience that as old photos fade, they acquire a warm tone. Sometimes they were sepia to begin with, but even when not, the faded color is more towards tan than a cool blue.

If I take an old picture and change it to black blacks and pure white whites, it looks artificial. I think you will like the look better if you try to stick with warmer tones than the slightly blue cast you produced in your first one.

Here's an example. I had a lot easier photo to work with than you did. Most of my effort was cloning out speckles. I did some work on the cardboard frame but deliberately did NOT try to make the frame perfect. That photo is about 100 years old and I didn't want to make it look like it came from a studio yesterday. I also thought it was an appropriate touch to leave the handwritten note at the bottom.

Ed-Lucy-communion.jpg
Ed-Lucy-communion.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

Just my 2¢

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty in my gallery is how i originally restored it. Is this better. My sis wanted the b & w. I agree with you.
sepia.jpg
sepia.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Judy, I like the warmer one. Another thing you might think about doing is darkening and narrowing the border around the picture - not keep it such a stark white. I think you did a great job on the restoration. I have boxes of photos that I'm avoiding looking at...knowing they need scanned.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thanks for all the input and compliaments. I will try it with a darker border. thanks.
12 posts Page 1 of 2