Post your before and after pictures here.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Here's one more. These are the reason I got a scanner and PSE. I have dozens more scans done and in need of retouching. :D

Standing woman is my grandmother. Baby is my mom, her age here dates the photo to about 1917. Young girl is grandma's sister, seated woman is grandma's aunt-by-marriage.

Second photo was straightened, cropped, color removed, orange spots cloned out, brightness/contrast adjusted, then sepia effect added.

family005 Web view.jpg
family005 Web view.jpg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 978 times

img005 copy Web view.jpg
img005 copy Web view.jpg (86.73 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Edited to add another version after some burning. Did not like the results of the burning of faces, except for the seated woman. On my grandmother and her sisters faces it looked splotchy, in spite of several attempts to do it over.

However, I don't know how I missed this earlier, both sides of the photo and partway across the top looked underexposed when I revisited the full size photo. It almost looked like an irregularly shaped vignette, and not an attractive one. I burned those areas to bring them more in line with the rest of the background.

Here is this try:

img005 copy2 Web view.jpg
img005 copy2 Web view.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 943 times
I'm no expert on restoration work, but it looks pretty good. I'm wondering if using a burn layer and burning the faces a little might bring their features out a little more.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thanks for looking Sunny, and for the comment and suggestion. I could try that, and may. I did sharpen it a little, which I forgot to mention. :oops:

I'll try the burn layer and see what happens. if it shows improvement I'll post the results.

alpha
Did some more editing of the photo, and posted the results in my original post as an edit, where it could be compared with the previous version. Also posted the explanation of what I did and why.

alpha

edited to correct typo
4 posts Page 1 of 1