Post your before and after pictures here.
18 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks, Reka.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Sunny those are wonderful pictures. You have been working really hard learning that camera. An inspiration for me to keep plugging away at photo classes. Good job.
kimi_boo wrote: I like them all!! Look how far you have come!! :woohoo:
The first one has a little too much red in his skin tone.
I haven't used Elements in so long... does it have color balance?
just tone down the red. You can select just his face and tone down that part without effecting the rest.

I had to go searching for this... Check this out and try it on your images. I have started using it on a bunch of my portraits. :biggrin:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/ ... p-by-step/

Totally agree with Kimi! Cute models and pertinent editing.

To answer kimi's question about PSE6, there are many ways (too many?) to adjust color balance. Remove color cast, adjust color for skin tone, color variations... and my preferred, ACR, which also works with jpegs.

I recently read a post on another forum about this color balance question, which is important for portraits in the shade. The poster wondered if the availability of WB correction tools in digital processing was not going to change the perception and taste of the public: the natural warm tint of golden hours and tungsten light which was sought in the film days would be considered totally incorrect now. He may be right. People tend to forget that our perception of colour depends not only on the subject, but on the light striking it. They ignore that our perceptual system compensates partly to those changes in color temperature... and that process is influenced by cultural influences. Correcting too much equals to showing what the subject would have looked like, had it been shot under 'standard daylight'. Normal for a pro photographer shooting items for a catalog... Is that what you want? Another poster stressed that in Asian countries they liked more the warm tones and there has been such a fuss about Canon's 'false' WB in tungsten lighting!
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel, very good points!!

I find that in my photography club. The older members are very rigid in their definition of what a photograph should have and look like. But the digital age has given us such wonderful creative opportunitys. So I try to keep that in mind when sending something in for our monthly competition. I try and send the rigid standard knowing that the judges tend to be older more experienced members of what ever club the images are being sent to. When our club votes on other club images. Three judges are picked and it is always the same 3. Older more experienced photographers than me. But I find what I would vote is usually much different than what they vote. It will be very interesting to see where this new generation of capabilities takes us.

I also find that I like warmer images that cool. So because that is what I like, that is what I process.

Oh and thanks for the color info. I find I am using color balance quite a bit in CS3.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Thanks for a great post, Michel. When I start working on the photos for my daughter, I'll definitely pay more attention to color casts.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thanks for the insightful and thoughful post, Michel. It all makes sense - and yet, sometimes I just go with "what I like"! This is such a great forum - thanks to everyone for sharing ideas so openly and freely. We are all learning because of the great members and the welcoming atmosphere.
[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
Linda, it's an excellent thing to do 'What you like'... and understanding why does not hurt. I am quite sure that Sunny and all who have posted here will harvest a lot of satisfaction with their efforts with natural light portraits.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I am envious of those who do such lovely portraits. There is so much to learn and I am so thankful to the generosity of all of our forum friends here. As I continue to explore and experiment, I am constantly amazed at all I am learning. Thank you, Michel, for your knowledge and in-depth posts and for contributing to my learning experience!
[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
18 posts Page 2 of 2