Post your before and after pictures here.
28 posts Page 2 of 3
Thanks Michel. It is so good to be able to access knowledgeable people such as you.

MichelB wrote: Ok...
Suzanne, if you want to give it a try, the latest version for Windows is here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=4042

The advantages of ACR with jpegs are in the FAQ of Newsletter 7, June issue.

Anyway, if you don't have the latest version, you have a version which can open jpegs, so that you can have a look at what it does.
Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Michel, is that also the latest version to use with Elements 5? I have a bunch of pictures taken by my mother where the white balance is off. The pictures are of my daughter's 2nd birthday party. One thing I have tried is using an adjustment layer to change the Red, Green and Blue individually. Sometimes that seems to work, otherwise I convert it to black and white. Other than trying ACR any ideas?
Danny

--------------------------
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D; PSE 5; Windows XP

A brave new step:
My Flickr galleries
My much smaller but growing PrestoPhoto picts
dsstrick9 wrote: Michel, is that also the latest version to use with Elements 5? I have a bunch of pictures taken by my mother where the white balance is off. The pictures are of my daughter's 2nd birthday party. One thing I have tried is using an adjustment layer to change the Red, Green and Blue individually. Sometimes that seems to work, otherwise I convert it to black and white. Other than trying ACR any ideas?

Yes, Danny, it's the latest. This is not so important for jpegs, since the updates mainly take new cameras into account. I am convinced that in your case starting with ACR is the best and easiest way. One advantage is that if you can nail a good conversion for one shot, you can process the others keeping the 'last conversion' option. Of course, you can use the 'correct color cast option' in Elements before adding your hue/sat adjustment layer to tweak colors individually. This may be very important to correct skin tones independently.
The problem with such lighting situations is that you often have a mixture of incandescent, fluorescent and maybe flash (bounced on coloured surfaces) or even part of daylight. In those cases, your option to convert to black and white is generally very good.
If you have got shots of people with a typical background, you could try to render the mood of the room and the lighting, trying not to over-correct the white balance, and then correct the skin tones separately, with hue/sat and masks.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Lots of good advice there, Michel, merci beaucoup.

For anybody with other versions of PSE, this is what's on the Adobe Website.....
The Camera Raw 4.5 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 4.01 for Macintosh or Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows®, or versions of Adobe Premiere Elements earlier than 3.0.

The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 3.0 customers is Camera Raw 3.6. The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 4.0 (Windows) is Camera Raw 3.7.

If anybody with PSE5 or later hasn't upgraded to ACR4.5, just because your camera is compatible with an older version and you feel it's working fine, you're missing out on a much improved program. I'm convinced that the noise reduction has improved, but it also has settings for "Vibrance" and "Clarity", something that first appeared on Lightroom. There's also a section on Camera Calibration and I know you can download profiles for your camera but I admit I'm more than a little confused by that.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff, how can I be sure what version I have installed? I downloaded 4.6, and used Graffi's Add-O-Matic. The next screen that came up said it wasn't compatible, but the next screen said it was successfully installed. Confusing to say the least.
Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Here are the installation steps for your download according to Adobe:

"Photoshop Elements:
Windows®:
Exit Photoshop Elements
Open My Computer
Double-click Local Disk (C:)
Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
Launch Photoshop Elements
"
The file you have downloaded is a zip file. For step 6, you should have unzipped first the Camera Raw.8bi file to put it in the right folder.

You should not use Add-O-matic for plug-ins, it works great with actions, effects, styles...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
So are both versions, old and new called 8bi? I am assuming I would move the old version to a folder on my desktop and put the new version in its place, correct?

MichelB wrote: Here are the installation steps for your download according to Adobe:

"Photoshop Elements:
Windows®:
Exit Photoshop Elements
Open My Computer
Double-click Local Disk (C:)
Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
Launch Photoshop Elements
"
The file you have downloaded is a zip file. For step 6, you should have unzipped first the Camera Raw.8bi file to put it in the right folder.

You should not use Add-O-matic for plug-ins, it works great with actions, effects, styles...
Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

To check which ACR version is installed:
Open a file (a jpeg is possible with 'Open As'
on the top bar, click on the preference icon, just right of the red eye one.

And Yes to your last post.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Version 4.2 is what it says under preferences.

MichelB wrote: To check which ACR version is installed:
Open a file (a jpeg is possible with 'Open As'
on the top bar, click on the preference icon, just right of the red eye one.

And Yes to your last post.
Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

Can you check in the path described that the Camera Raw.8bi file is from October 7th and its size is 10941 bytes? That's what you should obtain when you unzip your download.
Side note: version 4.2 is ok for processing jpeg files.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
28 posts Page 2 of 3