Post your before and after pictures here.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been working on family history books. Have done quite a bit of restoration, but am having some trouble with Grampa and his sister. It all looks 'flat' to me. Is there any technique that can help? Any suggestions at all?

Not sure when the photo was taken but my best estimate is between 1885 and 1888.
Tennie

Attachments

I don't know how to make them less flat, but you might want to try to put a feather on your selections....their hair (hers in particular) looks like it has been cut out with scissors and placed on the background. Taking into consideration what you're working with, though, you've done a great job in restoring their faces. :)
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I'll try the feather. It was 'cut out', but digitally....and that's part of what's been bothering me. Never thought to feather. Thanks for commenting.

Tennie
Tried the feathering and didn't seem to help. So cloned in some hair at the top and ran it through Topaz adjust (which I just got). The picture looks more 'painted' than I'd like, but overall may be the best I can do. I have a couple of others to work on that are even more challenging so guess I'll settle.

Thanks for the suggestion though and I will try to remember it for other projects.

Tennie

Attachments

that looks just wonderful, great job!
Thanks, Judy. I could continue to 'obsess' but would never get my book done.

Again and again though, if it weren't for this site there would be many techiques I wouldn't think to try. And I love the help and encouragement.

Tennie
Tennie - I like your second version much better.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thanks Sunny.
8 posts Page 1 of 1