Post your before and after pictures here.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
I usually go to the zoo on Christmas Day. No crowds at all, just poke along. The only downside, most animals are in winter quarters where the light is really crappy. Plus, the glass isn't always the cleanest. Oh well, it's still enjoyable to go.

I was in the Cat House where the light was so dim I had to push up to ISO 3200. Here is SOOC...

DSC_3275 Before.jpg
DSC_3275 Before.jpg (186.35 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

After Neat Image noise reduction and a few other adjustments in Elements, the image was still a bit noisy. I wondered what Anita's paint technique would do for me. WOW, was I pleasantly surprised.

DSC_3275 after.jpg
DSC_3275 after.jpg (189.12 KiB) Viewed 1780 times

A larger version is in my gallery: http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1217014/19932

The next image in my gallery was shot at the same time and suffered from similar noise. The paint technique worked well here as well. The colors are not as dramatic for the pair of lions.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
The painted technique works really well with this photo. Nice job.
Tina B
Rusty, Anita's technique worked very well for this picture. Great job.
Rusty, it looks really good. I would get rid of the purple in the shadows to keep that nice warm golden glow of the fur. Leopard or cheetah?

Courtney
What a beauty, great pictures Rusty.
Wow Rusty, That technique is perfect for that picture. Nice job!
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
Fantastic photos,Rusty. Considering the high ISO,I expected to see some color fall-off. Boy,was I surprised!
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thank you all.

That was a Jaguar (South America); he's a good subject 'cause, for some reason, I often find him very close to the glass.

Here's another one. I tried one version with all the noise cleaned up, converted to B&W and used the texture filter to add film grain. Found I had better results, IMHO, leaving the noise alone and not attempting to create grain.

Pensive.jpg
Pensive.jpg (161.12 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

I used Suzi's variation of one of Kimi's homework assignments for a sketch. The poster edge layer is at 1,1,5 and the opacity at 60%. I never really understood how to use that last number ("5") to adjust the 'splotchiness' until I read Suzi's explanation.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
"Pensive" is a great shot too. Looks very good!

Courtney
I thought this was a cracking shot,changing it with the painting method looks really lovely,I'v allways wanted a painting of our irish wolfhound,but now I'v seen this, I shall give it a go.
Kind regards
Min.
13 posts Page 1 of 2