Post your before and after pictures here.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
I had my flash on with a diffuser. I placed the camera on manual and put my shutter speed on 1/15 f stop of 5.
The flash still went off at 1/60 but the drag left the shutter open long enough to expose the background. Most were ok, some were blurry. (I'm sure it was the photographer)

I grabbed Holly to give it a try. She had no make-up on and I promised no one would see them.
She falls for it every time. :rotfl:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, great job. Holly is a natural beauty. I know being a teenage girl she doesn't think she is without make up but she it truly beautiful. My son was looking over my shoulder and wanted to know who the "hottie" is.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thanks Kim! I wish I would have taken one without the flash on so it would really show the difference. This way you don't get that black background. Would work great on a beach sunset.... if I only had a beach.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Closest beach to me is 12 miles, not too far but it is way to cold here to try a beach shot for me. :bigwink:
Although, I have been told that the waves on Lake Erie will freeze in motion here when the winds are strong enough and its cold enough. So you may find me on a beach if hear when happens.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Dragging the flash is a technique I have read about and wanted to experiment with. Looking at your shot really help stir my thoughts. Is the before SOOC(straight out of camera) and the second dragged?

The model is a cutie!

Thanks for sharing.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Very nice, Kimi. I have the same question as Ron.
no, sorry. it is unprocessed and processed. I wish I had thought to take one with the flash at normal settings. I kept getting dark backgrounds.

I had my flash on my camera with the diffuser. I would take a shot and look at the image. If I was still getting to hot I would bump the flash down a notch. I kept doing this until the lighting looked normal. I have been trying for ages to get this to work. It would probably look better if the flash had been off the camera and to the side but I am just happy I have made it this far.
:woohoo:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Nice shot of Holly, Kimi,

I think you can get the same effect by just changing your flash synch setting (see pages 41-42 and 98 of your D80 manual) to slow or to slow rear. This will avoid trial and error to get the manual setting correct.

I have tried this on occasion in A Priority and it works OK

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
If you're using the SB800 flash unit, you can set it for either TTL mode, or TTL/BL mode. With BL on, your flash will balance the light so that both your subject and background are exposed properly. In plain TTL mode, it will only expose for your subject, and not for the background. This will have the effect of darkening the background, or is good for just fill flash when you are in a backlit or shadowy shooting situation.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
kimi_boo wrote:
She falls for it every time. :rotfl:

Oh, you're evil! lol

The background lighting looks good, a successful experiment.

Courtney
11 posts Page 1 of 2