Post your before and after pictures here.
16 posts Page 2 of 2
Michel, you are a fountain of really good information!!
suzib wrote: Michel, you are a fountain of really good information!!

Not as much as our Prez... who saved my life a few minutes ago! :thanks: again!

I was very interested with that tutorial which has many merits:
- The pronunciation is clear (there are many accents I can't understand, as well as bad jokes, that's the reason why I don't like many videos)
- It is an intelligent tut about using the new features in CS very efficiently.

Like most tuts on the web, the author plays the magician, and does not describe clearly the visual changes produced by the different steps: you have a mixture of local contrast, blur and blackening the shadows. I suppose it is the same with cooking recipes. The problem met by Elements users is that generally it is a bad idea to try to reproduce each CS step. The B&W layer is a kind of magician's power, and as mentionned by Bayla, if you don't have the ease of smart filters, you spend a little more time with trial and error...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Before:
LiviaBefore.jpg
LiviaBefore.jpg (194.25 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

After:
LiviaAfter.jpg
LiviaAfter.jpg (198.29 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

My steps for Elements (pse6)

- duplicate background layer in overlay mode
- Add a black to white gradient adjustment layer, linked to duplicate layer. (slight changes, optional)
- Used shadow/highlight adjustment playing with the 3 sliders
- Last: used gaussian blur, checking the final result in the workspace

In this case, the eyes were in the shadows, so I added a mask to the duplicate layer and masked the eyes partly.

This method, which darkens and desaturates shadows is excellent for dark skins or blond hair.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Michel,

Very nice photo and shows what the technique is capable of. I was at a camera club executive meeting this morning and mentioned this technique and we decided it incorporate a presentation on it into our next meeting,
then came home to see this.

Perfect!
John
Really nice, Michel, what a cute little girl!!!
suzib wrote: Really nice, Michel, what a cute little girl!!!

Yes... I am a proud grandfather!
It's a crop from my Christmas gallery:
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1218209/33472
Michel B

Mes Galeries
16 posts Page 2 of 2