Post your before and after pictures here.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
One of my recent monthly photo magazines had a "sharpen your skills" article. You know the kind: Go out and shoot lots of photos doing the following... One of the exercises listed was called, "look at the edges".

Forgot all about the so called rules of composition. Put a huge blob of negative space in the center of your image, let your focal point(s) fall on one of the edges. See what happens. Learn something.

Wellllllllll, OK. I started with this (it wasn't quite "as on the edge" as I thought when composing in the viewfinder.
DSC_4141 Before.jpg
DSC_4141 Before.jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

So, I cheated and used crop to get it "more on the edge"
DSC_4141 B&W 3.jpg
DSC_4141 B&W 3.jpg (131.08 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

I'm not headed this way for the majority of my shots, but it sure looks like something to keep in mind.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I really like your edited one, Rusty.It looks great
Very nice tip and demonstration Rusty, thank you.
I really like this it really gives a totally different feel.
Rusty

The second one has an interesting composition, but for me the first one has more emotional punch (of stark solitude). I really like it.

Gordon
Rusty,

I like the edges idea. Lake Michigan? Good shot!

Courtney
I like the black white but I am with Gordon on liking the first one better. I like the composition of it more. I like the tree being there.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thank you all for looking and commenting.

I probably have the tree too close to the edge in my crop, either take it completely out or show more of it.

Gordon, I think you and Kim put your finger on. The tree in the SOOC does provide a pretty stark exclamation point -- as you can see, spring hasn't come to the upper midwest yet :D

Yes, Courtney, Lake Michigan from Water Tower Park. For those of you that don't "know Milwaukee", we fell in with others in the 1890s thinking that "big cities" just had to have a fancy, stone Gothic water tower. Not sure what I might try to do with my water tower shots; these are all SOOC (polarizing filter) ...

I suspect the best plan is to go back another day and shoot it again ... probably best after walking around and looking at it for an hour or so. See if i can get my muse working overtime. :biggrin:

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, I liked this photo and couldn't help giving it a different crop. Beautiful colors, and I like the fact that we are kept in the dark about what the sitter is looking at.

Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Two crops, two different stories. The tree is the focal point of the original, it is the frame of the second. I much prefer the second one with the duality open space/subject and the increased simplicity. Open space may be as important as silence in music.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
16 posts Page 1 of 2