Post your before and after pictures here.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
I was in church Saturday night "on assignment" :biggrin:
The service started outside and everybody processed into the church with candles (what the Fire Marshall doesn't know won't hurt him). The church was dark except for candlelight and two reading lights on the piano and the ambo (sort of a lectern). Interesting - wondered if I could do something with what I was seeing.

Exposure details at the bottom of "the before". This was shot in Raw with very little adjustment made to exposure. WB was on Auto so I changed that to tungsten because, at least to me, that looked better.

In Elements I cropped to what I thought was a more pleasing view, Defogged (USM 20-60-0), and ran Neat Image to cut down on noise. Screwed around with levels adjustment layers, ended up trashing them and, in effect, pretty much leaving it alone. This was handheld with the body of the camera braced against the side of the pew.

I liked what I ended up with...

...but, of course will not be offended by critical comment. 8-)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Good morning! I think you did a great job of capturing and preserving the lighting atmosphere!
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Yes, you did a good job there.... very atmospheric and warm. It's quite surprising what a digital camera can do with quite dark situations. I was at a concert the other night and the usual small print on the ticket said no photographic, audio or video recording...... and yet I was surrounded by lots of young people (under 40 :D ) using their little digital cameras and/or cellphone cameras at a range of about 90 yards from the stage. I don't know what was actually recorded but I could see their LCDs and it looked fine, if not exactly great. I think their autoexposures would have seen a lot of darkness and given too much exposure, washing out the subject.

One thing I've learned, though..... next time I'm at a concert (I'm seeing L.Cohen next month) I'm going to take my DSLR in, with monopod, and see what I can get.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I think you did a good job on that! :thumbsup:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thank you for looking and commenting.

Geoff, you may have problems. I have read several different times in "photography magazines" about photographing events. Many of the accomplished photographers writing said that no problems were encountered when using simple looking equipment. The security staff just looked the other way -- just another fan making snapshots.

An expensive looking camera on a monopod usually brings them running according to those writers. You are probably a professional taking unauthorized images for who knows what purpose.

Rusty

I think you did an excellent job, Rusty! I love the mood set it reflects
Rusty, yes I've noticed that with the 'snapshot' camera compared to a 'real' one.... I might chicken out yet, but I suppose it depends if I can wear a raincoat with deep pockets, as I did the other night. Monopod is another problem, though.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Very nice image, Rusty. Love the warm tones that you got with the candle light.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Thank you, Joe,

That's what I was trying for. The church seats a bit over 400 and we had a full house with a few standees against the back wall. It was quite a sight with that many small candles. (if anybody is wondering how we avoided setting each other on fire, they were little votive candles in glass cups :D )

I was asked to get photographs of a specific part of the service (later after the lights were all turned on) so, with my equipment, I decided to not carry a candle. Lotta fun fumbling around in the dark to take those shots when I couldn't read any of the camera displays.

If anybody cares, there are three slideshows up on the website right now; all are my work taken over the past three weeks. The night shots are in the last one, "Easter Vigil". The last half of that were the inside shots I was after. All are available light. I used my 50mm lens because that's the fastest I own. They aren't print quality but perfectly adequate for a website. http://www.stdominic.net/

Rusty

Rusty, I watched all three slide shows. You did an excellent job, especially the low light shots. I'm sure everyone in your church really enjoys seeing your wonderful slide presentations on the website.

Anita
13 posts Page 1 of 2