Post your before and after pictures here.
23 posts Page 1 of 3
I have a low rez image of my son with some Sled Dogs, he returns from Alaska Next week (I won't have access to a high rez version until after he returns home). I want to surprise him by making an artistic rendering of the image I have access to (the small low rez version). So far I have one version that is large enough to print 8x10 but I'm not sure I am happy with it. I'd like your creative help with ideas on how I might make a version that would work well as an 8x10 framed print - it does not need to be like my attempt.

Here is the original low rez image: http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1628940/41574
JosephSledDogs 500.jpg
JosephSledDogs 500.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

Here is what I have so far - not sure I'm completely happy with it - I'd be interested in other ideas, other versions, etc.... Made with Painter Essentials, Topaz Adjust POP, PSE Angled Brush filter, PSE photo adjustments.

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1628939/41574
JosephGlacierDogs500.jpg
JosephGlacierDogs500.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
PS Elements 6.0 & CS4
Canon Rebel Xsi
Canon G11
iMac 24" 3.06
I think you are on the right track.
Low res or even blurred snapshots can often be turned into pretty nice sketches or, as you seem to be headed, something "impressionist".

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Can we download the original to play with it!!
(suzi - he has a link to the original, low res file in the first post. )

skyfisher, I don't know how this will print because I hardly ever print anything. But I did do a similar project with low res files to 5x7 size. My trick was to either use Topaz Buzz Simplify for a painted look, or to make more of a scrap book page. That way the page is big, but the picture(s) still rather small. Anyway, I tried one for fun:

I used Geoff's impressionist tutorial, which I found here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4129#p47710

I left out the underpainting step though, and I added a vignette.

Courtney
Thanks Rusty, that was what I was thinking. And Yes, anyone please feel free to download the original image with the link and play with it as you see fit.
PS Elements 6.0 & CS4
Canon Rebel Xsi
Canon G11
iMac 24" 3.06
Thank you Courtney, that is a neat effect.
PS Elements 6.0 & CS4
Canon Rebel Xsi
Canon G11
iMac 24" 3.06
skyfisher, this may not be what you are looking for but i hope you like it any way.

Joseph-sled-dogs-web.jpg
Joseph-sled-dogs-web.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

I also put it on pixentral if you want a 8 x 10 copy.
I do Judy, Thank you. That gives me more ideas on how to artistically increase the size with style.

Tom
PS Elements 6.0 & CS4
Canon Rebel Xsi
Canon G11
iMac 24" 3.06
that is a small image to work on, how did you enlarge for an 8x 10 print??

sky copy.jpg
(147 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Skyfisher, what you already have looks great! :thumbsup: And. the ideas that have been suggested are nice as well!
I love the image. It is so different from what I usually see here in the plains of hot Texas.

Made a few changes: lighten the face & added a vignette.
ba moonlit classic 09.jpg
ba moonlit classic 09.jpg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

============================
more of a high key idea: brightened some of the image & added cyan/blue to some shadows
hard steel blend 1 sm.jpg
hard steel blend 1 sm.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

(I always enjoy an opportunity to offer ideas. :D)
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
23 posts Page 1 of 3