Post your before and after pictures here.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Like probably most of here I have read a half-dozen or so tutorials on how to fix "pet eye". I have had varying success ranging from poor to not very good to barely adequate. I tried three different things with this and barely got to poor. So, I went to a tiger shot from a week prior and borrowed a pair of eyes.
DSC_7480.jpg
DSC_7480.jpg (121.71 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

DSC_7480 Eyes Fixed.jpg
DSC_7480 Eyes Fixed.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

(obviously not a pet but you know what I mean)

The borrowed eyes were a sunlight outside shot so the pupils are much smaller than what would be seen inside but the finished result was, IMHO, better than what I started with. The outside eyes were somewhat elongated whereas the inside eyes were round but a little pulling and tugging with the transform tool made them fit.

I have found that, whenever I can, transplanted eyes are almost always better than a color or hue/sat fix.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Great ideas on how to fix those eyes, What do you do when you do not have the option of copy and pasting new eyes? any good ideas for that?
Tina B
Nicely done Rusty. Once upon a time I had an action to correct animal eyes. With all the crashes, not sure I still have it but I will look. Maybe someone else here will see your post and have it as I did share it with several people on the forum at Artistic Scrap Designs when it was up and going. I had never used the action but I do recall that someone I gave it to said it worked like a charm.

Found it. It's called Animal Eye Correction and I can't remember where I got it. Looks like I have had it forever. I think it was Action Central but not sure. I do know it was free. If you want it, I uploaded it to 4Shared so go grab it.

http://www.4shared.com/file/203129278/4 ... ction.html

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Tina, unless I wanted to try tiger eyes on a lion, I was out of luck. I also took lion shots that same day but didn't have any transplant candidates. Then I downloaded and installed the effect Kim posted. Wow, so many times better that the tutorials I had before.
DSC_7477 SOOC copy.jpg
DSC_7477 SOOC copy.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

DSC_7476.jpg
DSC_7476.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

This gives so much more control that what I had tried before -- look at how catchlights were preserved. Really clever to use two linked and masked adjustment layers. The guy that thought this up gets a gold star in my book.

:thanks: , Kim

Rusty

Wow, that really looks great Rusty. Glad I was able to find the action and share it with you.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thanks for the action Kim - I know I'll get plenty of use from it. :thanks:
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Rusty,

Would you be able to explain how to use this action please? I tried it but I wasn't sure what I was meant to do with the masks so I didn't seem to be getting the right result. This is the image I tested the action on - did it not work because I had white eye rather than green eye?

Attachments

Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Michelle, It's not obvious. I had to stare at it a bit before the penny dropped.

The Hue/Sat layer takes saturation down to zero -- no color; total B&W. The Levels layer lets you adjust how black (or gray) you want your 'blacks' to be. Because the Levels layer is linked to the Hue/Sat layer, it only affects the subject of that layer -- not the entire image. Because the Hue/Sat layer is totally masked (the box is 100% black), this action has absolutely zero effect on the image.

Now, to use it all you have to do is paint on the masked Hue/Sat layer. Black hides and White reveals so you want your foreground color to be white.
Animal Eye How.jpg
Animal Eye How.jpg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Select a brush and fiddle around with the size so that it just covers what is supposed to be the black pupil of the eye. I couldn't use your image because I couldn't see any differentiation between pupil and iris in your dog. Anyway... look at the example. The brush is right over the pupil. As I click you will see a white spot appearing on the mask; that is the fixed eye that starts to show on the base image. When you finish with one eye, move over and do the other one.

When you get all finished you can click the adjustment icon of the layers level and use the left slider to adjust how black you want it if necessary.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty - I will have another go with a better image. I think that one might be a good candidate for a cut and paste job. Luckily I have plenty of dog shots to choose from! I'll find a better image to test the action on now that you've explained it. :thanks:
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
9 posts Page 1 of 1