Post your before and after pictures here.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
It was misting and expected to drizzle the day of the competition so I had only my P&S. I didn't want to take my dSLR. The short focal length along with a very small sensor size thus produced tremendous DOF and a distracting background on almost every shot.

This is what I started with:
DSCN1804 Before.jpg
DSCN1804 Before.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

This is what I did:
DSCN1804 How.jpg
DSCN1804 How.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Finished image is in my gallery: http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/2066108?refresh=1

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I like what you did with the background in your finished shot. I wonder about your p&s ... how far away can it focus when in macro setting? I know I've sometimes forgotten I've set it to macro and then I take regular shots with it. The camera dealt with it well, but I don't remember how blurred the background was. Something to keep in mind to experiment with though. Mine also has a portrait setting, did you try that? I believe it will help blur the background.

Courtney
Hmmmmmmm ... when in doubt, read the manual :bigwink:

You are correct, Courtney, according to Nikon the portrait mode will soften the background. Never thought of that. Can't find anything specific on the Macro mode; that will take some experimenting.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
3 posts Page 1 of 1