Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
22 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi everyone :P

As always this assignment is open to EVERYONE who is reading the forum.
Our lesson never end so if you find this late, please feel free to add your image.

Remember.... if you see an image that you like, please leave a comment for your fellow students. Everyone likes a pat on the back.
There is no right or wrong process here. The point of the creative homework is... to be Kreative!!
Just Jump in and Have Fun!! :mrgreen:

A reminder.... this is not really homework. (it is just called homework) These exercises are open to everyone. Hope to see lots of entries!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some people may have missed Dane's Saturday Night Challenge. I thought it was so cool that we would use it as todays homework. Here is the link to the thread so you can take a look at some of the images. Really Cool!! :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1876

""Challenge: Doodling (really just another way to sketch).

1. Open your image.
2. Duplicate the background layer (Right click on the background layer and choose duplicate or CTRL J)) and name that layer Smart Blur.
3. Go to Filter -> Blur->Smart Blur (I used a Radius 28.2, Threshold 40.3, Quality Low and Mode was set to Edge Only). Just a note, the Radius and Threshold setting are not hard and fast, a lot would depend on you picture.
4. Convert to Black Line on White background (Ctrl I)
This would be a really good time to remove parts of the picture. Since we are doodling, we want a simple drawing.
5. Set you background colour to white and pick a Hard Round Brush removing parts of the picture
6. Duplicate this layer three times.
7. Rename the top layer to Blur 1 (Artistic->Cutout (Number of Levels 5, Edge Simplicity 6, and Edge Fidelity 1)). Filter ->Motion Blur (Angle -47 and Distance 150)
8. Click on the second one (right below Blur 1) and rename that layer to Blur 2 and move it to the top. Repeat step 7. The only change will be on the Motion Blur Angle and that will be 47. Next change the Blending Mode to Multiple and lower the Opacity to 54%.
9. The third layer down, rename to doodle and move to the top. Change the Blending Mode to Multiple and lower the Opacity somewhere in the 30-35% range. Now you have a nice sketch and you can stop here if you like. Turn the layer visibility off on the bottom two (click on the eye icon on the layer).

This is all you have to do to create what I call doodling. As with most doodling it is done on paper. Remember to have fun.""
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Dane also included 2 free papers if you want to use them.
of course... Pixentral won't let me copy the forum link.

here is the plain lined sheet of paper.
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... QDWZiihQE9

here is the crumpled line paper.
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... 9PbU5DnGA0

You can use any background that you like or use these to make it look like you doodled on the page. :chickendance:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I didn't really like my doodle look. I pulled my original to the top layer and changed the blend mode to color.
Made more of a watercolor.

~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
a different turn...
I used the magic wand to select just the black. (make sure contiguos is unchecked)
ctrl J to put it on it's own layer and used a gold layer style.

~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Looks good Kimi. Who knew, another watercolor technique hiding behind a doodle. :rotfl:

Like that second one (gold outline), reminds me of the glass (that I can't remember the name of, dang old age ... memory running low again :oops: ). Remembered, stain glass. :cheer2:

:wave:
Dane
-------------------------------------
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
I liked this the first time I did it.
This time I was ready to experiment :D

Thanks to the technology of scanners, it was a snap to make pencil and paper :biggrin:

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Looking Good Rusty!! :thumbsup:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
This is fun.

Attachments

A life without cause is a life without effect.
Clara
My Gallery
Rusty - That was really nicely done. Neat idea and great execution!!

Thanks Kimi for another fun exercise.

Bill
Ok, I followed the steps somewhat. After the Motion Blur, I then did a Gaussian Blur on each layer. I then created a new layer and added colour to the Rose (used Gaussian Blur again to blend the colours), added a heart, butterflies and put it all on lined papers.

v-day-rosebud3.jpg
v-day-rosebud3.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 844 times

:wave:
Dane
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
22 posts Page 1 of 3