Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
27 posts Page 2 of 3
Here's yours truely pointing the way.....not the way to get lost.... :mrgreen: Not very artsy but I did add soft light blend mode.
Chas
Img00300020.jpg
Img00300020.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Suzi,

You might want to first make sure your camera is capable of taking infared photos. Some newer cameras have infared blocking filters installed in them in order to prevent infared light from distorting your images. That is to say, what we call infared filters are actually infared '"bypass" filters allow the infared light through and blocking the visable spectrum.

Top of the line Tiffen infared filters start at over $100 and go to over $160. That's why I started investing in Cokin filters. The filters cost anywhere from about $15 to $70(Circular Polarizer) The infared is $45. Most of the filters run in the low to mid twenties. These prices are for the P series of filters which will fit lenses up to 82mm. Once you have the filter (a 84mm square piece of glass) you place it in the filter holder ($9) which fits over the adapter ring specific to the lens of your camera ($14). So for about $25 per lens I can use any of the Cokin filters on any of your lenses. It has it's drawbacks. The lens holders and adapters are bulky and can make it difficult to fit your lens in your camera bag.

The system was created before the digital age when all effects had to be created through the camera or in the dark room. There are some filters that are hard to replicate through PSE. The neutral density filters can allow you to open up your aperature or decrease your shutter speed on a sunny day in order to create shallow depth of field or motion blur without blowing out the highlights. The gradual neutral density can help brighten up a darken forground subject whithout blowing out the sky in the background.

If your interested, here is the Cokin Website Cokin and here is a website I use to purchase them The Filter Connection... And finally, here is a good online piece on Infared digital photography "Digital Photography for What It's Worth"... a must read for IR beginners like me.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Thanks that is great information....I think what I might do is see if I can find a used canon rebel xt body and have it converted to infrared.That way all my lenses will work. I am bookmarking those sites.
Here is mine. A composite of 4 images.
Bernell if you read this. I sent this in to The Times for the Altered Image category.

~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Here is my entry. I posted this same photo Sunday night on the other "Make Art Monday" under the General heading. The photo appeared after I posted it, but today it said that it was unavailable. Also happened to Suzib's posting. So here goes another try. I used The 'Brush and Blend' Art Effect by Larry Becker.

Attachments

Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Finally ... a good use for Monday. Thanks Kimi!

Bill
those are great Suzanne and Bill
Bill... that shot is to drool over!!! :P :P
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi -

Thanks ... and right back at you. Yours is great!

Bill
billz wrote: Kimi -

Thanks ... and right back at you. Yours is great!

Bill

Thanks hon! :P
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
27 posts Page 2 of 3