Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
_DSC0139-copy-copy-copy.jpg
_DSC0139-copy-copy-copy.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
It's "Make Art Monday!" Show us what you've got.

Change a blend mode, play with a filter ..... anything goes as "ART"

NOTE: You may post your art through out the week. It is just a push to get you to go in and try something new. Remember you can post as many times as you want and it doesn't have to be just on Monday. Brushes, patterns, gradients,abstracts anything you want. So let's get busy and make some GREAT art!
My submission for this Monday is a faux rendering of IR black and white with a film frame from foto forge.
How's that for alliteration?
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
New birthday lens and software...
MaM_Topaz B&W Effects.jpg
MaM_Topaz B&W Effects.jpg (140.57 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

(if you need a hint, that's a wasp's nest)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Very cool, I hope it was empty!! What kind of lens did you get?
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
What kind of lens did you get?

Julie, I have wanted a macro lens for the longest time. The prices are such that I could never bring myself to spend over $400 for such a specialty lens. Even Tamron, which I always look to as a lower cost alternative to Nikon's Nikkor lenses was close to $500 for what I wanted.

I really got excited last month when the new products section of one of my photography magazines described a brand new Nikon lens for $280 ... wow. I ripped out the ad and gave it to my wife telling her it was so new that it was probably impossible for my 2-week off birthday but I would love to have it for Christmas as a combination birthday/Xmas gift.

She went to our local full-service camera store. Of course they had nothing in stock but said they could order it ... no idea how soon it would arrive. Surprise, surprise, it arrived in less than a week. She put it under her side of the bed knowing I would never come close to cleaning under there!

It is the very first lens here: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/ ... index.page
If you look at the other prices you can see why I had never rushed out to buy one!

Rusty

Rusty, I'm very happy for you. Now that you've used it a few times, would you recommend it to a fellow Nikon camera user? If you do I might order one for my birthday gift.
Looks like a good buy, Rusty. You certainly did a neat micro with it.

I checked Adorama---same lens for a couple hundred more. I'd love that, and a 300 zoom lens...but if I mention it to DH he's say to go get it. I'm in charge of budget and am not sure it'd be feasible at this point. :crying:

Ok, my art is a pair of Howler Monkeys. They both want the banana and the smaller one looks fierce. Photo taken at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC.

I used some Topaz Simplify, BW conversion and a texture.

Attachments

would you recommend it to a fellow Nikon camera user?

What do I know? This is the first 'true' macro lens I have ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to. I suspect the biggest problem, if in fact a problem - depends on how you would use it, is that it is a 40mm lens. In order to get the macro magnification you probably want, you gotta get really close to the subject - real close. Not so good if you intend to photograph bugs, butterflies, bees, etc. But, look at the available 100mm ... 200mm macro lenses. The price difference is why I wanted to get this one.

This will give you the background of what I'm talking about. And, why any zoom lens that claims to also be a macro (I have one of those) isn't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrophotography
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/100- ... ying-guide
http://photo.net/learn/macro/
and, here's a review of this specific lens:
http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/lenses ... ro/review/

Rusty

I did some more playing around with the macro lens and the new Topaz software...
Sea Shell.jpg
Sea Shell.jpg (133.42 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

... I get often carried away with the arty stuff :biggrin:

Rusty

Rusty wrote: I did some more playing around with the macro lens and the new Topaz software...
Sea Shell.jpg

... I get often carried away with the arty stuff :biggrin:

Rusty

Carried away is good. I like it!

Courtney
Wow I might have to put that on my wish list :) I'll blame it on you Rusty lol
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
10 posts Page 1 of 1