Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
45 posts Page 1 of 5
Betty and I thought we'd try a new challenge in the hopes that everyone would like to participate and share - a Show and Tell challenge. The first one will run for at least a month and the theme will be Winter and Holidays. This includes Christmas, New Years, Kwanza, Hanukkah, and any other you may know about. (Festivus? :bigwink: ) All winter themed photos are welcome.

Post any photo, collage, page, creation you wish, - (artsy or not) & provide a little info i.e.:
- why the subject grabbed your attention enough to capture the image
- or what special problems you experienced, such as lighting, location, etc.
- or whatever you wish to share about the image (who, what, when, where, how, etc.)

Here is one to start us off. I was enjoying Christmas lights at the Calgary Zoo early one evening and was experimenting with slow shutter speeds to make light trail pictures. My natural impulse was to move the camera in circles, zig zags, waves, etc. But some lights I was able to stand underneath, point my camera up, and rotate myself, creating an axis of rotation. You can also do this by holding the camera with your arm twisted as far one way as you can, then "untwist" it by rotating it as far as it will go the other way as you take the photo. Then I combined rotating and zig zagging... endless possibilities.

Courtney

Attachments

Cool, Courtney! I'll have to give that a try!
Courtney, fantastic abstract image.
Thanks for explaining how you accomplished your results.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Courtney, this sounds like a wonderful thread. I can't wait to see what members [and myself] post.
I hope to shoot some Christmas lights when the weather is better. I did a little research & found some info, which might be helpful to those who are interested.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/12/ho ... ights.html
Hope to see captures of decorations posted here.
Betty
Courtney, that is really cool. Very abstract. Neat idea.
Here's one from NE WA where we usually go in more temporate weather. We did have to go for a short time a few winters ago, so I took advantage of it. This was altered with Topaz Simplify Painting Oil.

Mary

Attachments

Here's another view of the old cabin.

Mary

Attachments

Mary, that's a beautiful photo /oil painting! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. And thanks Betty for that link. It has some good tips for photographing Christmas lights.

Courtney
Mary, - beautiful art for your nice captures :thumbsup: How nice that you shared some photos from earlier winters. Looking forward to more -- older or current --- with or without art.

I plan to find some of my previous winter photos as well, because the weather here is too gloomy to do much outside & not worth shooting.
Betty
45 posts Page 1 of 5