Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Beavers-Bend-Dam-copy.jpg
Beavers-Bend-Dam-copy.jpg (117.85 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Change a blend mode, play with a filter ..... anything goes as "ART"

NOTE: You may post your art through out the week. It is just a push to get you to go in and try something new. Remember you can post as many times as you want and it doesn't have to be just on Monday. Brushes, patterns, gradients,abstracts anything you want. So let's get busy and make some GREAT art!
My submission this week is a three picture pano. It has a bleached bypass treatment from Nik HDR Pro. The frame is from Filter Forge. The dam creates Beavers Bend Lake in Oklahoma.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
I tried some different effects on three of my photos of Saturday's Ice Sculpture event. On the first two I did quite a bit of work on the background (clone stamp and some selective gaus blur) to remove distracting elements. On the first one I went for a bit of impressionism and the second is watercolor (both using Paint Engine). The third was Topaz B&W Effects.

Rusty
MaM_9464.jpg
MaM_9464.jpg (204.31 KiB) Viewed 696 times

MaM_9465.jpg
MaM_9465.jpg (138.3 KiB) Viewed 696 times

MaM_9520.jpg
MaM_9520.jpg (105.12 KiB) Viewed 696 times
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Chas, real nice pano with a great HDR treatment.

Rusty, the first one has wonderful color. The other are really nice as well. Paint Engine looks like a good program to work in.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Chas, nice hdr pano!

Rusty, I like how your paintings turned out. :thumbsup:

Courtney
My art this week is considered Practical in that it is intended to be corrective more than anything else.
Sharpening & effects are not permitted in restoration by OPR org. In an effort to minimize the smoothed-out look, I did try to slip in some texture on the restored building & didn't remove all the defects found in the original.

This old photo was found by the family in the Joplin tornado debri. As one can see, there are puckers which created warped distoration of the image.
MAN-HR-orig-0112.jpg
MAN-HR-orig-0112.jpg (141.6 KiB) Viewed 687 times

larger
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... siF6Mxxf70

I wanted to do much more, but this is all that is permitted
MAM-01-12-HR-Joplin-Res.jpg
MAM-01-12-HR-Joplin-Res.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 687 times

larger
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... R33PV7u940
Unfortunately, there wasn't enough 'real skin texture, color, etc' to pull out to make a more realistic restoration.

This week, I wanted to show you how bad the original was.
Next week, I will post a more successful restoration of different subjects. A restoration which I am happier with.
Betty
Rusty-nice rendering of a difficult subject.
Betty-great restoration considering how wrinkled the original was.
Great art work,folks.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Betty, I think you did a great job. You really had a challenge on your hands.

Courtney
Yesterday I was thrilled to see some lenticular clouds for the first time in person. I've seen photos of some really unusual lenticular clouds, they can look like UFOs. My friends and I were driving through the mountains and I spotted 3 really neat looking clouds. They told me they were lenticulars and I eagerly waited until we got back to town to take some photos of them. That's about a 8 - 10 minute drive. Well duhhhh, clouds keep changing, as does the light, and I should have asked them to try to find a spot to pull over so I could get some shots right then and there. I really should know better. Of course by the time we got down the mountain and into town the clouds had changed and it was harder to see them in town. :crying:

But, I did get one OK shot that shows one of the funky clouds. I've "arted" it up with Topaz.

Courtney

Attachments

Courtney, your clouds art is beautiful. I hope to see some 'ufo' clouds one of these days. If I do, I'll know what they are called :)

Thank you for your encouraging comments about the restoration. I wish I could have done it my way -- crop, texture & other camouflaging effects, or maybe used paint engine or Topaz. Staying within the restrictions adds to the challenge, because one is continually wanting to 'do their thing'.
I'm happy to say that the Quality Management of OPR accepted it & even made favorable comments, which pleasantly surprised me. I wasn't even asked to make revisions, which they do often. I've been asked to revise about 40% of my restorations, but I understand why.

Chas. thanks for your comment. I hope I never deal with another photo with so much damage. It must be a photo that the family wants or they would not have requested the restoration. They would have thrown it away, if it hadn't meant something to them.

The restoration that I plan to post next week turned out better - I think.

fwiw: Forbidden was stopping posting of the above. By trial & error, I figured out that it didn't like parentheses tonight :D
Betty
Neat cloud, Courtney. When I was on a few minutes ago it didn't show up, glad it did now.

My art is from an international pro dance show. Really liked the dance position of the guys and wanted to do the full length. BUT, what the eye sees and what the camera shows aren't always the same. The ladies were behind the guys but all that showed of them were their arms....and they looked like they were growing out of the men's waists. So I had to go for a crop.

Attachments

18 posts Page 1 of 2