Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks, Julie. There's "something" going on with the way pics are displayed on the forum. My pic is also much softer and muddier when viewed here. I initially thought PrestoPhoto was modifying it (a lot of online hosts crunch pics so they take up less server space), so I tried hosting it myself, but it still looks not-so-good here.

A snoot (besides being a cool-sounding word) is a tube that is placed over the flash to limit the spread of the light. That's what produced the spotlight effect in my pic. In reality, it was just a piece of black foam craft material rolled up and rubber-banded to the flash.

Off camera flash is easy to get into. I paid $70 for the speedlight. Of course, like all things photographical, it's easy to throw more and more money at it. What attacted me was the results people get, and the fact that there's a very strong do-it-yourself (=cheap) community out there.
I'll have to look further into that Irv, now you have my curiosity peaked :) I can always find something to add to the I Want list for my camera ... my last purchase was a new bag that I can fit all my lens, etc in without doubling up on any space.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
I bought a Yongnuo YN-560 II. Things to know - it is completely manual, so you have to adjust your camera independent of it; it's definitely a "budget" solution, but the quality is good, imo; and it uses AA batteries and can go through them pretty fast. The "eneloop" type rechargeables work well and are a lot more cost effective.

Get one and then there are all kinds of other things to want - stands and umbrellas and brackets and soft boxes and ... :D
Julie, off-camera flash capability is built into your Nikon. I'm not sure if it only works with Nikon brand speedlights or if it works with other makes as well. Look in your speedlight manual in the section on Custom Settings ... that will show you how to set the flash unit for Wireless remote flash mode.

Then, look in your D7000 manual to see how to put the built-in flash into commander mode. This is in your Custom Setting Menu within the sub-menu Built In Flash. You can have your camera set so that the built-in flash (the pop up) will fire AND the remote speedlight will fire. Or, you can also set it so that the built-in flash will NOT fire, only the remote will fire.

It's nice to see you posting. Don't be a stranger.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Because you got me to thinking about it, I used an off-camera flash the way I just described in the "November Eight" image just posted.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Do not know if this counts as art but i always have photos on my fridge so i decided to make a fridge in photoshop. The photos are stock from morguefile.
fridge-photos-room.jpg
fridge-photos-room.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Thanks for the info Rusty, I'm going to study up on the off camera flash.

I'm going to try hard to pop in more, I miss you guys :)
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
17 posts Page 2 of 2