Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Charlie is off traveling for a week or two and asked me to pinch hit for him.
It's "Make Art Monday!" So let's get creative and make some GREAT art!

MaM_3131.jpg
MaM_3131.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

Change a blend mode, play with a filter ..... anything goes as "ART"
But most of all,have fun!

I played around with a sketch technique on this image.

Ruaty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Oh, Rusty, I really like the giraffes! Can you tell us where you found the sketch technique?

On this one I used Topaz Simplify Underpainting. Will enter it in the county fair this week under "Computer Generated Arts". Wish me luck. :)
landscape.jpg
landscape.jpg (227.8 KiB) Viewed 2027 times

Mary
Rusty, giraffes make such a good subject. I like your sketch.

Mary, that is a very pretty landscape painting. Is it a recent photo? Because it looks like your trees have already started to turn color. Just this week I noticed our trees have already started dropping leaves. :crying: Good luck in the contest!

Courtney
Mary, I only remember that it was one of the presets within Topaz Simplify. I can't recall exactly which one nor can I remember the tweaks I made after the preset was applied.

I have never had much success with "Underpainting". You ended up with a heck of a lot more color than I ever have.

Good luck on your entry. I like it a lot.
County Fairs sure are fun, aren't they?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Giraffes are great subjects, Rusty. Nice art.

Mary, love your painting. I bet the judges will also love it.

My post is a before and after, using restyle. However, I feel sure gradient maps, etc will work just as well.

before: (an earlier, poor image taken with a not-so-good camcorder)
Colorado, south of the Sand Dunes Nat'l Park
mam-before-COB-0813.jpg
mam-before-COB-0813.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

Edits: 2 layers of Restyle Cadmium Orange Burst (Moody presets). 1st layer in Luminosity 100%. The sky was selected for the 2nd layer, which is 100% normal cadmimum orange burst. Last, tweaks to darken areas which remained too bright.
final results:
mam-cad-orange-burst-0813.jpg
mam-cad-orange-burst-0813.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Mary, that is a very pretty landscape painting. Is it a recent photo? Because it looks like your trees have already started to turn color. Just this week I noticed our trees have already started dropping leaves. :crying: Good luck in the contest!

Courtney

Thanks, Courtney. It is a photo from last fall. The trees around here haven't started turning yet.

Mary
I have never had much success with "Underpainting". You ended up with a heck of a lot more color than I ever have.

Good luck on your entry. I like it a lot.
County Fairs sure are fun, aren't they?

Rusty

Rusty, thanks for the info on the technique you used for the giraffes. When I use "underpainting" I saturate the heck out of it! Yes, county fairs are lots of fun. Ours here doesn't have a lot of carnival rides - it's mainly lots of booths, many 4-H entries, and lots of rodeo-type events.

Mary
Betty, thanks for posting both before and after photos plus telling how you did it. That turned out to be a very interesting "after" image!

Mary
8 posts Page 1 of 1