Digital challenges to help you develop your skills!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
Charlie is still traveling; I'm still pinch hitting.
I went for a walk last week in a lakeside park that includes a trail thru pretty dense woods.
This park was a depression era CCC project.
MaM_3154_Anita's Sketch + Pastel.jpg
MaM_3154_Anita's Sketch + Pastel.jpg (138.95 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

I used Anita's sketch technique on this and then topped it with a pastel layer at very low opacity to punch the color up a little bit.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
To those that might want to revisit "Anita's Sketch" it is here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=161

Here are some comments Anita subsequently made is reply to Qs or requests for help:
In the "Filter>Other>Minimum step", the smaller the number, the finer the lines.
An alternative to the "Filter>Artistic>Poster Edges step" would be to try "Filter>Brush>Accented Edges" or you could even do it twice... once with Poster Edges and once with Accented Edges.

Rusty

I like what you have done! I also like that you described how you achieved this look. :thumbsup:
Here is a variation of Anita's Sketch ... the last step, poster edges, was omitted.
MaM_3186.jpg
MaM_3186.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

This past weekend saw the celebration of Harley Davidson's 110th Birthday. Bikers from all over descended on Milwaukee. This guy (with some kind of animal on his head) was from close to home ... Wisconsin's North Woods.

Rusty

Rusty i like both your art pieces. I will have to revisit Anitas version and give it a try.
Rusty, the animal hat guy is an interesting subject and you got a good smile and eye contact. But the steps in the woods is a great picture. Your painting, sketch, whatever and lighting make me want to be there.

Here are 3 kids waiting and watching at a gopher hole for the gopher to take the bait, a carrot stick. They saw him once, but he was too smart for them and grabbed the food the second time when everyone was looking away.

Courtney

Attachments

ha ha ha Courtney i love the story that goes with the photo.
Rusty, that's a beautiful stairway image, and I like the expression on the biker's face - nice treatment, too.

Courtney, your image really tells a story!

Report: Last week's image got a first place at the fair but nothing else - first places are fairly easy to come by but I'm not complaining (much). :crying:

Took a photo of a flower at the fair and put a Topaz Simplify/painting colorful treatment on it.
paintcolor.jpg
paintcolor.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

Mary
First Place sounds pretty darned good to me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments re my "walking park trail" image. That's an interesting place but it's so dim under all the trees photography is often difficult.

The biker guy was funny. He saw me admiring his animal skin (I forgot to ask him what it was) and immediately offered to put it on if I wanted a picture. I could tell he was proud of it and really wanted me to take a photo so I did. I later realized I had gotten a pretty good shot.

I have been with Courtney to that swimming lake park and have fond memories of the kids watching for ground squirrels popping up out of their holes. They are fearless and totally acclimated to people as a prime source of goodies.

Rusty

Thanks, Rusty. I guess I meant that just about everbody gets a first place, and there's always hope for something more.... I did do a bee storyboard of photos on how to make honey which got a Grand Champion Reserve (runner-up). Bottom line is that it was fun putting together all the entries!

Mary
14 posts Page 1 of 2